Thread: LTSSL Clarification

Default LTSSL Clarification

I have been following this forum for some time now, but we may finally be at a point where I need some more information, hence my first post!

My husband just had a second interview for a job in the ICT field and if offered a position we would move forward with a Work to Residence-LTSSL visa immediately followed by a SMC visa application. I have a few questions about the process:
    1. My husband has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Design - Computer Arts (Graphic Design essentially) and has 8+ years of experience working in the ICT industry. Since his degree is obviously not a qualification relevant to the ANZSCO occupation on the LTSSL will this be a problem if applying for a visa through the LTSSL scheme? Or does the position he is offered simply need to be in a position on the LTSSL?
    2. When we submit our EOI for the SMC could he claim a qualification in a future growth area (Creative Industries) and experience in a future growth area (ICT) if they are two different but similar fields? Could he claim a qualification in both a future growth area as well as an absolute skill shortage area?
    3. When going through the IQA process, since he clearly does not have a qualification associated with a position in ICT does it matter how his qualification is assessed? I'm assuming simply having a qualified bachelors degree is all that would be necessary?

Thank you in advance for any input and assistance and let me know if you need more information.

I'm answering so as not to leave you thinking that nobody has seen your post. I hope someone in the ICT industry will be along shortly.

What ANZSCO heading would his job come under?

Quote Originally Posted by travelinglisa View Post
    I have been following this forum for some time now, but we may finally be at a point where I need some more information, hence my first post!

My husband just had a second interview for a job in the ICT field and if offered a position we would move forward with a Work to Residence-LTSSL visa immediately followed by a SMC visa application. I have a few questions about the process:
    1. My husband has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Design - Computer Arts (Graphic Design essentially) and has 8+ years of experience working in the ICT industry. Since his degree is obviously not a qualification relevant to the ANZSCO occupation on the LTSSL will this be a problem if applying for a visa through the LTSSL scheme? Or does the position he is offered simply need to be in a position on the LTSSL?
    2. When we submit our EOI for the SMC could he claim a qualification in a future growth area (Creative Industries) and experience in a future growth area (ICT) if they are two different but similar fields? Could he claim a qualification in both a future growth area as well as an absolute skill shortage area?
    3. When going through the IQA process, since he clearly does not have a qualification associated with a position in ICT does it matter how his qualification is assessed? I'm assuming simply having a qualified bachelors degree is all that would be necessary?

Thank you in advance for any input and assistance and let me know if you need more information.
    Let us approach your case in the following ways-

1. WTR (Talent or Accredited Employer) with Job Offer in both cases: In this case the qualification would not matter much, as INZ would be mainly looking at the Job Offer. If the Job Offer is of 90k or above, you would be eligible for PR (yes Permanent Residency) at the end of two years of working with an Accredited Employer (does not apply to WTR (Talent)). So, Accredited EMployer + 90k = PR at the end of two years.

2. SMC Visa now or after getting WTR: As SMC is point-based and you would easily qualify for EOI selection (due to Job Offer), again the Qualification would not play a major role.

So as I see, a Job Offer will take care of everything!

Thank you JandM and Otaku for following up.

JandM - I believe the ANZSCO heading on the LTSSL that is in line with the job description and responsibilities is ICT Customer Support Officer (Technical advice and Consultancy) (313112).

Otaku - his offer would not be with an Accredited Employer. I'm not quite sure why we would go the talent route when it's a skilled position? The job offer would be 90k or above.

Our thought was we would go the WTR route to get a visa quickly and then immediately follow that up with the SMC application for residency so we don't have to wait 2 years. A job offer would put give him plenty of points for the SMC.

Our biggest concern is with mismatched qualification and experience with the LTSSL and with the IQA process. I can't seem to find information on this matter, but there has to be plenty of people whose education is in a different field than their experience!

Thank you and fingers crossed!

Hi. If your husband does not have one of the exact qualifications on the LTSSL for that occupation code he cannot use the WTR - LTSSL route but would need to apply for an Essential Skills Visa. These usually take 3 - 4 weeks to be processed. Have a look at http://skillshortages.immigration.go...pport-officer/ to be sure. This is a Level 2 role whereas the salary sounds more like a higher level position. I would need to know the exact job title first. When it comes to residence, whether or not you could claim points for Future Growth Area depends not on his qualification but on the industry in which he would be working. However, with a job offer plus a degree and work experience, he must have 100 points plus so there is no point whatsoever chasing more points when it comes to a residence application including a job offer. So long as his degree is assessed as Level 7, he will get the 50 points. If he can get to 100 points without even using the degree, he could save the time and money on the IQA as he has more than 5 years' relevant experience.

Thank you so much Karen, this is very helpful!