Thread: Applying for residence or a visa within NZ?

Question Applying for residence or a visa within NZ?

Greetings to the Forum,

I've joined to ask this question as I am finding that my particular situation isn't clearly covered the information I've found on the Immigration website. Maybe it's a unique situation, maybe it's not. In any case, any advice or points in the correct direction would be much appreciated! I am also currently trying to contact the NZ Embassy close to me (Toronto), but have not received a response from them yet.

My husband (NZ citizen, abroad for 3 years in Canada) and I are considering moving to NZ. We want to make the move quickly so he can get back to working (we keep hitting road blocks with his work permit in Canada). My question is if I come over on visitor status, is it possible to apply for residence within the country? We don't have the time to wait and apply for residence while both still here in Canada as I can't support us on my meager earnings. He hasn't been allowed to work in this country for over a year. We're now expecting our first child in October and financially it makes more sense for us to be some place where my husband can earn a better living for us.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    the Maple Kiwi clan

Yes, you certainly can apply for your partner-sponsored work visa and residence from within NZ.

What kinda human rights abusing country is Canada? Where a spouse of a citizen can't even work? That's appalling. Please come here to NZ, where we don't have any such oppressive laws. You'll find that this country is way better than Canada.

(BTW, you haven't specified which citizenship you hold, but I'm assuming you are Canadian based on your spelling of meagre)

Haha yes, I am a Canadian citizen, and yes our immigration system for spousal sponsorship is APPALLING. My husband has been unable to work in this country since September 2013. We have a permanent residency application in process for him, but will not hear back until October at the earliest. The waiting period is 17 months for the initial assessment, another 10 following that before residency is actually granted. As I am now 4.5 months pregnant and working two jobs to keep us afloat, we are quickly attempting to assess other options.

One case scenario is going to NZ (me as a visitor initially without a visa - we don't have the time to apply from here) & get him working ASAP. This would however require me paying for some kind of medical health insurance with special coverage for having our child in NZ, then applying for residency after. It's a lot to consider, but we keep hitting road block after road block with our applications in Canada, and I want to do what is best for our baby. I've tried to contact the NZ embassy in Ontario but they don't handle anything to do with immigration apparently, so I am at a loss as to who to speak to for advice. Our situation is rather unique and not really covered by the FAQs online...

You should not need any special health insurance, as you will be entitled to use the NZ health service for all your maternity and peri-natal care, as your husband is a NZ citizen, and the baby will also be. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...nancy-services

Wow, thank you so much for this info!! Yet another example of how NZ trumps Canada for care!

Probably a long shot to ask... but do you know if this is still valid even if my husband has been abroad for 3 years (I think he is considered an expat by now)?

Your child will be a NZ citizen. That is sufficient in itself. See that link.

In any case, being abroad doesn't make a citizen less of a citizen. And anyone would have a hard time showing that your husband had been a non-resident for tax purposes, when Canada wouldn't let him work!

Quote Originally Posted by swearwolves View Post
    Where a spouse of a citizen can't even work? That's appalling. Please come here to NZ, where we don't have any such oppressive laws.
    Of course there are laws regulating this, and simply being a spouse of a citizen is not enough to immigrate to NZ either.