Thread: Australian + Brazilian to NZ

Default Australian + Brazilian to NZ

Hi all
    Hoping to get some advice on the following.

I'm an Australian male who met a Brazilian female last year travelling through South America. She recently came out to visit me, and in a few months, I'm going to go back out to visit her and meet all the family + friends.
    We were originally hoping she could move out to Australia at the beginning of next year but this is proving difficult.

After some research, I found out she can apply in September for a WHV in NZ, and as an Australian, I can also work in NZ.

So, our plan was, she applies in September when the scheme opens this year and puts down early next year (Feb or March) as her intended start date, and I begin looking for a job (from Australia, and probably a 12 month contract type job) when/if she is approved.

The reason for her delaying the WHV to early next year is she won't have the required $4200 at the time of application, as she is still finishing her masters and her scholarship doesn't pay a great deal, so she would work after her masters finishes for 6 months to build up the required funds. Does she need to prove she has the funds at the time of application? Or will they just ask for a recent bank statement when she arrives?

Anything else she should know about before applying?

Thanks in advance

There maybe somebody out there who has had a Brazilian WHV who will be able to say for certain what happened.

Judging from the procedure for other visas applied for with a deadline and electronically, though, I think she is likely to have to show proof that she has the $4200 in September, very shortly after the application is selected if she is lucky enough to get one of the places. Is there somebody that could put that amount into her name for a short time, so it would show up on a bank statement that she could use for proof?

I thought that may have been the case.
    Maybe her parents can provide the funds for a short period, as you have suggested.

Thanks for the response!

Brazilian here, had WHV. There's no need to show evidence of $4200 when you apply for WHV. They might ask to show evidence when she arrives in New Zealand but hasn't happened to me and for my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by edubr View Post
    Brazilian here, had WHV. There's no need to show evidence of $4200 when you apply for WHV. They might ask to show evidence when she arrives in New Zealand but hasn't happened to me and for my friends.
    Muito obrigado!

Hey edubr (or anyone else from Brazil), do you have any tips for getting through on the day the WHV opens? Only 300 places, I'd imagine they fill up very quickly