Thread: Difference between a work visa and a work to residence visa (WTR) ?

Lightbulb Difference between a work visa and a work to residence visa (WTR) ?

What is the difference between a work visa awarded on the basis of a job offer, and a work to residence visa awarded as a result of SMC application (instead of a PR) ?

If I can gather 140+ points for SMC, should I apply for SMC ? The CO may give me a residence permit or the work to residence visa ?
    Or should I try to visit NZ and secure a job offer, which may allow me to apply for a work visa ?

Pros and cons of each approach ?

I think you are getting confused between a SMC Job Search Visa and a Work to Residence Visa. If you apply for SMC with 140+ points but without a job offer, you will be interviewed and if you can't satisfy the Case Officer that you meet the settlement criteria at that time, you will be offered a Job Search Visa. This will allow the Principal Applicant to go to NZ and look for work and start wok. Once you have a job which meets the criteria for residence in your occupation you can then get this visa changed to SMC and your wife can join you.
    A Work to residence Visa is either for someone who has a job offer from an accredited employer or who has a job offer in an occupation on the Long Term Skills Shortage List and meets the LTSSL criteria. (There are few other variants, but much less frequent e.g. exceptional sports or artistic talent). So WTR requires a job offer.

Here is an old post that may help explain further what the SMC Job Search Visa is for. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....125#post471125

Thanks, I will explore it further. The link you gave is very helpful, I read through the post.