Thread: Partnership Residency Application Help

Default Partnership Residency Application Help

Hello Everyone!

My wife holds New Zealand Residency since 2001. She came to India in 2009 and we got married. Since then we're living together in India, she never returned back. She holds indefinite returning residence visa (IRRV) stamp in her passport. So I think she can go back to New Zealand anytime right?

We're now thinking to apply for residency for myself and my son (4.5 years old). We have stayed together for almost 6 years now.

Do you think it's enough to prove that our relationship is genuine? I have joint account with her since past 3 years and we have life insurance etc together.

I wanted to ask who will be principal applicant? Me or my wife? how long does it take normally? they say 9-15 months. Any one faced rejection?

Thanks a lot.
    Sj

Hi. If your wife has an Indefinite Returning Residence Visa (or permanent residence under the current legislation), she can always return to NZ to live. As her partner for more than a year, you can apply for residence under the Family:Partnership category and your son under the Dependent Child category. So long as you can show, using letters, official documents etc that you have lived at the same address for at least 12 months, have shared finances (make sure you submit actual paper bank statements that came from the bank - not ones downloaded from the internet) and also evidence that you are a social unit - for example, that you have joint invitations to a wedding, have travelled together , stayed at hotels together, photos of the two of you together at different times and/or letters from people who have known you as a couple for more than year, you should be fine. The usual processing time for this type of visa is around 3 months. You then have 1 year in which to enter NZ once you have paid the migrant levy. if everything you say is correct and you provide the right evidence you are unlikely to be refused your visa.

Hi Karen,
    Thanks for your reply.

I think we have enough proof e.g. join bank account statements, travel tickets / hotels bill / photos etc together, life insurance invoices on same address etc. Also we have son's birth certificate, more over she lived in India since we got married so that could be biggest proof that she didn't go back and stayed in India with me?

Many thanks,
    Sj

Sounds good! I think you should be fine.