Thread: If SMC approved, ok to work in NZ but payroll outside from NZ

Default If SMC approved, ok to work in NZ but payroll outside from NZ

Quick discussion with my boss, once I received my SMC approval he ok for me to still work @ current company which is outside from NZ.

Meaning I will stay in NZ work via remotely but payroll will be from outside NZ until I found a permanent job in NZ.

Is there any issue with SMC? Do I need to pay tax to NZ govt (double taxation?) if my payroll is not within NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by moonrider View Post
    Quick discussion with my boss, once I received my SMC approval he ok for me to still work @ current company which is outside from NZ.

Meaning I will stay in NZ work via remotely but payroll will be from outside NZ until I found a permanent job in NZ.

Is there any issue with SMC? Do I need to pay tax to NZ govt (double taxation?) if my payroll is not within NZ?
    Once you have Residency, Job conditions do not matter. You might have to pay tax on your overseas income, if you qualify as Tax Resident of NZ (different from Residency).

What if one is on a visitor visa? Can you still do what the OP has said? Technically, you are not working in NZ, so should be okay, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by swearwolves View Post
    What if one is on a visitor visa? Can you still do what the OP has said? Technically, you are not working in NZ, so should be okay, eh?
    If you have Tax Residency (https://www.ird.govt.nz/internationa...ency/personal/), then it does not matter what Visa Class you hold.

I may have misunderstood something here, but as I was unclear, thought I would respond to avoid people getting into difficulties. If you are on a visitor visa in NZ, you can't work for any company, even if they are not a NZ company. There are special visas for people sent to work in NZ for an overseas company and similar. The exact terms and conditions depend on the job. Take a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/44941.htm. Even voluntary work counts as work if you receive anything in return (accommodation, meals etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    I may have misunderstood something here, but as I was unclear, thought I would respond to avoid people getting into difficulties. If you are on a visitor visa in NZ, you can't work for any company, even if they are not a NZ company. There are special visas for people sent to work in NZ for an overseas company and similar. The exact terms and conditions depend on the job. Take a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/44941.htm. Even voluntary work counts as work if you receive anything in return (accommodation, meals etc)
    Let me get this straight:
    - You are working remotely from NZ (on a visitor visa) for a company in your home country that has no presence in NZ.
    - Your salary is being paid by that company from their local bank to your bank in your home country (money does not leave your home country).
    - You are not entering the NZ labour market in any way.

And somehow this is illegal on a visitor visa? Not sure what the logic behind this is.