Thread: Skilled Migrant Category Points

Default Skilled Migrant Category Points

Good evening all,

My wife and I; we are planning on lodging out EOI, yet we have a couple of questions and we wonder if you could help us.

My wife will be the primary applicant (Mexico passport holder) and I have a US passport

1. Recognized Qualification.
    My wife has a Bachelors Degreee in Business Administration (from a Mexican institution) However, how can we assessed this qualification. Is it possible to issue Vetassess?

2. Relevant Work Experience
    My wife has 10 years of relevant skilled employment, however we are not sure which assessment authority we must use

Comparable Labor Market
    She has some experience whilst working in Mexico and the US.

3. English Proficiency Partner / Recognized Qualification
    As a US passport holder, can I provide a color copy of my passport and a copy of my university transcripts from my US institution in order to fulfill this requirement

Future Growth Areas / Absolute Skills Shortage
    Unfortunately, we do not qualified for any occupations in these fields

4. Age: 30 - 39

I appreciate your help regarding this issue

You need to check with this list http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35171.htm to see whether your wife's qualification, and yours, are exempt from assessment. If they are not, then you each need to apply to the NZQA for an IQA http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/ - this organization is the official body designated by INZ to assess foreign qualifications.

Look here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm for the fullest detail about what the requirements are for claiming points for the EOI. SM6 has a chart showing all the points available under different headings, and the last column tells you which other section to look in to find the particular regulations about each set of points.

Dear JandM,

Thank you for the help.
    Sadly, my wife's international qualification must be assessed.

Yet, in order to claim 30 points for 10 years of skill employment, we need to have her work experience assessed.

My wife's occupation is Wholesaler, so I wonder if anyone could help us regarding the necessary steps in order to assess her working experience

Thank you

You don't get it assessed, as such - you have to make sure that it is admissible, by looking at all the sections of SM11 (see link in second paragraph above), then provide proof that your wife did that work. She will need for instance her tax and/or pay records, and statements from the employer(s) that she worked there full time, from this date to that date, as (skilled job), and that her duties and responsibilities were (whatever). If the firm has since gone out of business, it is all right for the employer as an individual, or someone else who is in a position to know, such as the HR official, a line manager, or colleague from that time, to supply the letter instead - such a person must be contactable during the time the case will be being processed.

You haven't said whether or not your wife has a job offer. Without a job offer and with no bonus points for LTSSL or IFGA I can't see how yo can get to the 140 points you will need. If this is the case, then you need to focus on a job offer. Also, work experience in Mexico will only count if it was for an international company that has its HQ in a country that is on the Comparable Labour Market list. Otherwise, it only counts with a job offer. With a job offer -50 point (or 60 if outside Auckland) and 30 for work experience and 25 for age, she is over the 100 points required with a job offer and to satisfy the requirements of her occupation, if she can prove 5 years of relevant experience she doesn't need points for her qualification. See http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/wholesaler/. So, I am guessing that she needs a job offer and with it, there is no need to get the qualification assessed. Without a job offer, the two of you don't have enough points. If this needs further clarification, just ask!

Dear all,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

1. Point System

Our tentative points are as follows:

Relevant Work Experience 10 years - 25 points
    Recognized Qualification B.S. degree - 50 points
    Partner Qualification - Recgnd Level 7 - 20 points
    Age - 25 points

Totaling 120 points

Regarding my wife's evidence for Relevant Work Experience, we have signed letters from current and previous employers in company letter head and since we are undergoing through an Australian visa process as well (we do not feel confident putting all our eggs in 1 basket) the Australian General Consulate in our city sealed color copies with "This is a true copy of the original presented"
    Thus, my question is, can we utilize these certified copies for New Zealand migration purposes, I have contacted the New Zealand General Consulate and they can not provide us these seal.

3. Assessment of Foreign Qualifications

We duly understand my wife's Mexican qualifications must be assessed by NZQA via IQA.

4. Comparable Labor Market

Currently, she works for an international company based in California, yet they also have an office in China and rely on 7 factories dispersed throughout South East Asia
    Previous employers (Mexico), she worked for Walmart Mexico, the international retail company and traveled to China twice a year to review each season's purchase. The same goes for the previous employers who imported motorcycles, equipment, apparel and spare parts from Asia.

Therefore, we believe she fulfills the comparable labor market requirement to receive additional points. Kindly advise.

5. I understand one must meet either the 140 point mark or have 100 points and a job offer to be selected among the pool of applicants.
    Therefore, I seek advice regarding the possibility of receiving an job offer without working rights.
    What is the likelihood that we would receive a job offer after visiting NZ on a short job-hunting trip in order to be interviewed.
    Does anyone have any advice and what will it take for this employer to wait a number of months before my visa is granted.

I will await further information.
    Thank you

What is the likelihood that we would receive a job offer after visiting NZ on a short job-hunting trip in order to be interviewed.
    Plenty of people on the forum have done this. There are old threads (to be found with the Search) about recce trips, and how best to prepare for them.
    Does anyone have any advice and what will it take for this employer to wait a number of months before my visa is granted.
    Normally, as well as putting in an EOI once a job offer is received, the worker would apply for a temporary work visa, which can be processed much more quickly than residence. You would also apply for partner-sponsored temporary work visa for the spouse without the job offer, and student or visitor's visas for any children (depending on if they are of school age or below), to match the work visa for length of time. This would mean the whole family could be working/schooling in NZ while the residence visa for them all was taking the necessary time of processing. Another advantage to applying for it all at once is that a lot of the evidence would be shared.

Good morning JandM,

Thank you for your reply.

Would the certified color copies bearing the Australian Consulate seal be acceptable by INZ when I submit my EIO as mentioned below:

Regarding my wife's evidence for Relevant Work Experience, we have signed letters from current and previous employers in company letter head and since we are undergoing through an Australian visa process as well (we do not feel confident putting all our eggs in 1 basket) the Australian General Consulate in our city sealed color copies with "This is a true copy of the original presented"
    Thus, my question is, can we utilize these certified copies for New Zealand migration purposes, I have contacted the New Zealand General Consulate and they can not provide us these seal.

Thank you

The reason I didn't answer that part of your post before is that I don't know the answer. I suspect that the telephone answerer at INZ (who would be a kind of human FAQ service, referring everything to what they can find on a computer database) didn't know either. Your only hope to get an answer by that route is to ask to speak to a supervisor or other official with the seniority to interpret the regulations.

Thank you JandM,

I will contact them