Thread: Applying for Temporary Residency soon- when can I get PR?

Default Applying for Temporary Residency soon- when can I get PR?

Hi folks,

I came to NZ in 2013 on a WHV, met a gorgeous kiwi and applied for my partnership work visa at the end of that year. We nearly have our 12months living together evidence and will be applying for Temporary Residency in June. Can I offset any of the time I have already lived here, to avoid waiting 2 years before I get Permanent residency?
    I'm only rushing because I want to study and cannot afford the horrendous international fees. It seems the UK are now treating me as International also. Give a girl a chance right!

All advice welcome.

Thanks everyone

No, you can't use any time before you have actual residence. Once you have that, you qualify as a domestic student. And sorry to be the bearer of even more bad news, but if you were hoping to use a NZ government grant for your studies, you have to have been a resident for THREE years now, to qualify for one.

Hi JandM. Just wondering where can I find that information that says that one must need to be a resident for 3 years before he/she is eligible for subsidized school fees? Is that applicable for level 7 studies as well? All along I thought once granted a residency (temp or perm), he/she will be eligible for it. Thanks.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/st...-what-to-study See under Fees and Allowances, and Student Loans and Allowances.

You will immediately be eligible for paying at domestic rate, but will have to wait three years for eligibility for a student loan.