Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pack for the container

Default How to pack for the container

Hi Everyone

I have a few questions regarding the pack:

1. Must you pack into new boxes?
    2. Must it be labeled with what is inside?
    3. Can you use plastic storage boxes to pack into?
    4. Must you foam wrap or bubble wrap your belongings? (furniture)

Our furniture etc will go into storage for about 6 months, so not sure how to go about making it easier for the people left to send it to us.

Surely, if you're hiring a container from a company that supplies a packaging service?

My wife told me (I was already in NZ) that a couple of guys wrapped, labelled and packed everything in two days.

Whoever packs it, you, or a removal company, YES, everything must be marked with the contents, in detail. There will be some things that the MPI will want to inspect (biosecurity), and there is a charge for every package they open, so 1) make sure those items are gathered in as few packages as possible, and 2) be very sure it's clear which they are. Also, 3) make sure no labelling is vague or ambiguous, or they may feel the need to investigate other things to see what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    Surely, if you're hiring a container from a company that supplies a packaging service?

My wife told me (I was already in NZ) that a couple of guys wrapped, labelled and packed everything in two days.

Hi Roger

Which company did you use? I see some offer the service, others not.

Thanks, will make sure to label everything. I thought they open and check everything, so will try and make it as easy as possible to check what must be checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanonthemove View Post
    Hi Roger

Which company did you use? I see some offer the service, others not.

We travelled from the UK and I see you're located in South Africa, so the company we used may not have a operation in SA.

The company used used, came around to gather information to produce a detailed quote and answer all those questions you asked in your original post plus a few more. We also got a couple of additional quotes from other companies and then choose the original company even though their quote wasn't the cheapest but in our opinion seemed more 'professional'.

As I stated earlier, I was already in New Zealand but did see the photos that my wife managed to take during the packing process and then followed the progress of the container across the globe using the tracking information supplied. Finally, the container arrived and was delivered to our rental address and unpacked by NZ Van Lines http://www.nzvanlines.co.nz/ .

And we used NZ Van Lines again when we moved to our current permanent location. Excellent butch of lads who packed, moved and unpacked our processions with great care and made our large furniture items look like it was made of papermache as they move it around.

Good luck with your move!

You can self-pack or have them pack. I was told that if I self-pack and there's a problem, the insurance included in the moving service might not apply--since I might not have packed it adequately. But that was Canada-NZ (Allied NZ and it's Canadian affiliate).

Having said that, like most people we had lots of boxes of stuff that wasn't repacked. The movers took our word about the content: their only concern was that the boxes weren't too heavily packed for their own safety.

We had a 75m square apartment full of stuff. Took less than 2 days to pack and load up.

I moved from UK and had to have it packed by removalists in order to insure. If we packed it then insurance didn't apply. Some removalists may be more 'flexible' on this rule than others...i.e. may be willing to say they packed it when they didn't. Talk to your removal company.

1. Must you pack into new boxes?
    - Not necessarily but make sure there is no organic stuff in it.

2. Must it be labeled with what is inside?
    - Give rough overview (keywords) e.g. kitchen utensils, books, wood/ metal artifacts etc.

3. Can you use plastic storage boxes to pack into?
    - Yes you can

4. Must you foam wrap or bubble wrap your belongings? (furniture)
    - This is only for safety of your items, its not mandatory.

Thanks Everyone!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast