Thread: Skiled Migrant Visa - Points for Qualifications

Default Skiled Migrant Visa - Points for Qualifications

Dear All,

Trust all is well at your end. I am in the process of applying for EoI under skilled migrant category. My questions are regarding the points that I can claim for my qualifications. Any help from your side is highly appreciated.

I have two degrees -

1. Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science (4 years) from India
    2. Master of Business Administration (1 year) from UK.

Q1: Can I claim 60 points for holding recognised level 9 or 10 qualification? The reason I am asking is, in the link provided Master of Business Administration is not listed.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35171.htm

Q2: If I can claim 60 points for Masters, will I be able to claim bonus points for having qualification in identified future growth areas and areas of absolute skills shortage? I am intending to use Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science (4 years) from India for claiming these points.

It'd be of great help if somebody can clarify my queries. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Thanks as always,
    Richards K

1. If either of your degrees is not listed, you will need to get them assessed by NZQA - get the IQA. The one assessment will cover both qualifications for no extra cost. If your master's comes out as a Level 9 or 10, you will be able to claim the 60 points.

2. Having claimed whatever bonus points you are entitled to on the strength of your bachelor's degree does not stop you from claiming your entitlement for your master's. But notice, you can't claim points for your qualification for both identified future growth areas AND areas of absolute skills shortage. If your degree qualifies, you can get the points for identified future growth areas if you have a NZ job offer, or if you don't have a job offer, you can get the points for areas of absolute skills shortage. SM 16.10 and SM 16.20 here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30591.htm

Thanks very much JandM for the swift response!!!