Thread: Can I quit my current job or leave NZ rightafter obtaining my resident visa?

Default Can I quit my current job or leave NZ rightafter obtaining my resident visa?

Hi I heard lots of sayings regarding this matter.
    I have worked for over 2 years in my current company., just received my residence,
    Some ppl say, I will have to work for another 3 months ? (but I do not see any restrictions on my blue sticker tho)
    Someone could place the official link from INZ regarding this matter?

When we arrived in 2004, I was stuck in a crappy job for two years under a work permit.

I quit the day we got our residency.

It was awesome.

The only time you have to work three months after receiving residence is if your EOI used the offer of that job as part of the points needed to be selected, and your residence therefore has a Section 49(1) condition on it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30536.htm If you have no condition written on your residence visa, there isn't one. In that case, the only thing you need to make sure of is under employment law, keeping the terms of your contract about giving and working notice.

And to answer your second question, yes, you are allowed to leave NZ at any time on your resident visa under normal circumstances. It's the coming back that's the issue. You need to make sure you are back in NZ before the expiry date travel printed on your resident visa.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The only time you have to work three months after receiving residence is if your EOI used the offer of that job as part of the points needed to be selected, and your residence therefore has a Section 49(1) condition on it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30536.htm If you have no condition written on your residence visa, there isn't one. In that case, the only thing you need to make sure of is under employment law, keeping the terms of your contract about giving and working notice.
    thanks jandm i read the section .it seems to only apply if the applicant has not worked for that skilled employment for 3 months. Since i have worked for my current company more than two years so it does not apply?

That is correct. And your own visa is confirming it - no mention of a condition, so there IS no condition.

Hi Beachcomber, I was reading an old forum of yours from 2012 regarding importing a scandinavian kit home. We have had many of the same thoughts you had about the quality and value for money this represents. Did you ever end up doing this? Or did you find a similar option in NZ? Sorry I could not figure out how to email you directly.

lilirouge, if you make five posts on any thread, the forum will automatically, in 20 minutes or so, switch on your ability to use the Private Messaging system.