Thread: Parking in Auckland - day rates

Default Parking in Auckland - day rates

Just wondering how this works. Take the Downtown car park as an example. If I keep popping in and out, will my maximum charge for the day still be $17? Or will each arrival be treated separately, possibly leading to a day charge greater than that?

Also, is the evening treated separately if you've already hit the max day charge? It talks of a $17 maximum fee during the day and a $7.5 max fee at night, so if I didn't move the car in a 24hr period, would the charge be $17 or $24.50?

Either way, parking is looking to cost almost as much or more than the car .

BTW, in case it benefits anyone, the concierge mentioned that there's effectively free parking at the tank farm (I assume Brigham and Hamer), but that's a bit of a hike for us. Anywhere within 15 mins of Queen St works for me.
    Last edited by Bromley86; 27th May 2015 at 01:25 AM.

I've been using various car parks around Queens Street over the past five years and each visit is treated as a separate and charged accordingly.

If you signed up for the monthly parking scheme which starts from $310 per month (depending on options like reserved parking, etc) then you can come and go as often as you like.

Maybe public transport might work for you.

W

Thanks for that Roger. Any idea how the day/night thing is handled (i.e. $17 vs $24.50)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromley86 View Post
    Thanks for that Roger. Any idea how the day/night thing is handled (i.e. $17 vs $24.50)?
    I assume that as soon as you go past midnight the higher rate kicks in.

Do you already have a known work address or are you simply trying to get a feel for general commuting costs. As different areas of central Auckland have different costs. For example, day parking in Newmarket can be as little as $5 a day and K Road as much as $28 a day if you don't get the Early Bird rate.

Personally, I would use public transport where-ever possible. However, it's not really an option from where I live as the moment

Thanks again Roger. We're already in Auckland but have some time to find our rental (with a dog, which slows things down); with the benefit of hindsight, a central location isn't best for this .

I popped into Fanshawe Street today (from what I could see, the cheapest of the Central carparks) with the car and I have good and bad news for anyone in a similar position. The good: the ticket is a pay and display and there was nothing I could see that'd stop you paying for the full day, retaining the ticket and using it again when you get back from your excursions. Also, the $16 covered you until 06:00 the next day.

Luckily, your monthly suggestion was indirectly the way we went. Our apartment building has a few monthlies and we've rented one from them.

The bad: It was Pay & Display and the $16 covered you to 06:00. Because it was a pre-pay ticket, I couldn't figure out how you'd stay overnight without getting up horribly early, so we gave up and went with our apartment building's slots.

If you ever park on Auckland city centre streets, ALWAYS check whether there are Clear Way signs. Like, usually the street parking has to be cleared for morning (7-9am) and evening (4-6pm) rush hours.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ro...parking-signs/