Thread: EOI With a Job Offer Being Turned Down?

Default EOI With a Job Offer Being Turned Down?

This is really a "just out of curiosity" question. Has anyone heard of such an instance occurring? An EOI with a job offer for the SMC being turned down? If so, on what basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    This is really a "just out of curiosity" question. Has anyone heard of such an instance occurring? An EOI with a job offer for the SMC being turned down? If so, on what basis?
    Yes it happens.
    Reason was "job not skilled enough"

Currently EOI's only undergo a basis credibility check before an ITA is issued. It's rare for an ITA not to be issued unless it is very clear that the points claimed cannot be substantiated or are wrongly claimed. However looking at IPT numbers it remains that large percentages of SMC applications are declined

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for that. I guess really I should rephrase the question to read "has anyone ever heard of an SMC application being declined despite a job offer?".

Yes, it does happen, but it's very rarely mentioned on the forum, because I suppose if they get declined, people don't usually come back here and say so. Rob&Don and ChrisMwn have given the two possible reasons for refusal - either the job is not found to be skilled enough for requirements, or else the person has not got, when they are thoroughly checked out, good enough qualifications.

Thanks for the clarification, JandM. I suspected that this might be the case. My husband and I are being very careful to pay attention to all our details to ensure that this doesn't happen. I don't believe it will but it's reassuring that SMC apps with job offers aren't being rejected out of hand.

There is a solid set of rules that all INZ COs have to follow. Nothing is done just by chance, on anybody's whim.