Thread: Where to look for holiday rentals around Christchurch for a family of 5 and a cat?

Default Where to look for holiday rentals around Christchurch for a family of 5 and a cat?

We have a job offer so now I can begin more in depth arrangements!

I wondered if I might gather some information from you guys on the ground?

My husband has a job offer in Christchurch, we have 3 children (3, 6 & 8) and a cat. Both my husband and I drive and don't mind commuting but having said that he doesn't want to spend a lot of time on the road to work and back. The children will need to be enrolled in to a school fairly soon after we arrive although I don't intend to fling them straight in. We hope to string it out for as long as legally possible so that they can have a good look around and get their bearings first.

So with that little list in mind, which areas would you suggest that I look at for temporary accommodation? I appreciate that this is quite a personal thing to advise on but it'd be great to gather a list of areas to look at!

Thanks folks!

http://www.bookabach.co.nz is good for holiday rentals.

You might find your children actually want to go to school to meet some other children and to help with settling in. Depends on the time of year you arrive as well. We moved to Wellington just before the new school year started so it made sense to start straightaway (something along the lines of we arrived in Auckland, spent a week driving to Wellington, arrived there on a Saturday, looked round the school on the Monday, bought the stationery on the Tuesday and my daughter started school on the Wednesday. And then changed schools a month later because we bought a house. So anything is possible)

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    http://www.bookabach.co.nz is good for holiday rentals.

You might find your children actually want to go to school to meet some other children and to help with settling in. Depends on the time of year you arrive as well. We moved to Wellington just before the new school year started so it made sense to start straightaway (something along the lines of we arrived in Auckland, spent a week driving to Wellington, arrived there on a Saturday, looked round the school on the Monday, bought the stationery on the Tuesday and my daughter started school on the Wednesday. And then changed schools a month later because we bought a house. So anything is possible)

Thank you! I have been looking on this site and there are a number of "bachs" available which is fab. Oh yes we are all prepared to be flexible but a nice holiday is very well deserved and longed for with my lot!

I can't edit my original post but Ideally I would choose somewhere close to a state co-ed primary and shops because as my husband and I were just discussing, I wont have access to a vehicle until ours arrives in the container. We will be buying a run around when we land but that will be for my husband to use for work. Just wondering if anyone knows of areas that might fit the bill?

I can't help much with areas and schools, if you have an area in mind I can tell you what sort of reputation it has. I might be able to help with stuff you might need when you first arrive, waiting for your container to turn up. Just PM me if you have any needs or questions etc

Thank you Myles,
    That is really kind!

thanks catt
    that site is brill!!!