Thread: Lost receipt...

Angry Lost receipt...

I am in the process of getting a residents visa for my Chinese wife and stepson.
    We applied for both the work visa and the residents visa at the same time and received the work visa about two weeks ago.

The immigration office in Shanghai sent back our photos etc.

Now we are in the process of getting the residency visa and being asked for a hotel receipt that we know we had sent to NZ immigration in Shanghai but they say they don't have it.
    Our problem is that it was just a small hotel and in the year and a half since I stayed there it has changed ownership two times.
    My wife went to the hotel to ask if they can give us a receipt but they don't even have a computer with any records.

Even though my wife and I have been married for over a year this receipt is required to prove when we started living together.
    This is so frustrating. If the immigration took better care of our documents that we sent to them we would not be in this situation.
    Surly they would have needed to see this receipt when processing my wife's work visa and if it was not there they would have asked for it at that time.

I came back to NZ about a year ago because I was made redundant from my job.
    If we can't prove that we were living together at the hotel for six months immigration will not acknowledge that we have been living together for one year or more.
    It is completely insane because we have been in a relationship for two years and married for the last year.

I am considering going to the Wellington immigration office and making a complaint next week.
    All our family and friends know that we were living together for longer than a year and have written supporting letters.

Sorry to hear of this very annoying lapse.

Quick update...

On the third attempt my wife managed to get a new receipt from the Hotel after buying a gift for the Hotels owner.
    If they kept decent records there would have been no issue but I am really happy that it has been resolved.

Glad its all resolved for you. I heard from couple of my friends who had similar issues with mishandled or missing originals and INZ wasn't accommodating even through the problem caused due to their lapse.

Always worth making photocopies of all documents sent off.