Thread: Work Visas and contact from INZ

Default Work Visas and contact from INZ

Hi All,

Just a quick question for my first-time work visa, since I've not dealt with needing a Visa before, much less a New Zealand Visa. My paperwork's been in for several weeks now (and by the estimated times from the Washington DC office, I've got about another two weeks.

I just wanted to check how the office gets in touch if they need to contact me. I gave my email and my phone number, and I've been receiving calls from Washington DC for the last week or so. Looking up the numbers online indicates that it's probably political fundraisers, and no message was left. I also have some "Unknown" calls coming in. What I wanted to check was if they will leave a message or if I need to pick up all calls. I usually don't answer calls I don't recognize the number for (my take is that if it's important, they'll leave a message). I have in the past had an experience though where I was listed as a job reference for a friend of mine (it was for a state government position), and they had a policy in place that I had to answer when they called--from a blocked number. The department would not leave messages--they had to have me pick up when they called. It almost got my friend disqualified from being hired, because I don't routinely hang on to my phone. This is not a situation I want to be in with INZ, so I just wanted to check if A) they leave a message if they try to reach me, or B) if they also attempt to email.

I understand that at this point no news is good news, so I'm not worried, I just want to make sure that I'm not hurting my Visa process by expecting a message to be left--especially while I'm at work during the day.

Thanks!

Calls coming from "unknown" numbers are usually made by dodgy people. Do NOT answer them. Genuine INZ officials will contact you via email if you happen to not answer their call.

Quote Originally Posted by swearwolves View Post
    Calls coming from "unknown" numbers are usually made by dodgy people. Do NOT answer them. Genuine INZ officials will contact you via email if you happen to not answer their call.
    That's my usual protocol. As I said, I would never have considered picking up "Unknown" calls prior to that State Government reference check for my friend. I still find that whole thing to be dodgy. Good to know that INZ's reasonable on such things

I had observed that INZ usually keeps paper copy/email communication on record. This is seen as standard practice to keep trail of communication touch points with clients (even in general)