Thread: Partnership permanent residence query

Default Partnership permanent residence query

Hi,

I'm new to the site but am finding it very helpful. Just a quick question...

I'm in the process of getting together an application for a residence visa via my Kiwi partner. I know that if she is classed as an expat that the application get's 'fast tracked'. But I'm sure i read somewhere a while ago that if successful I would be granted immediate permanent residence status, rather than the initial two year residence visa.

Is that right, or have I imagined that I've read that somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

No, you haven't imagined it, but it's only done for partners who have a) been partners for five years or more, and b) the Kiwi has been out of NZ for at least five years. See F2.5.1 here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46503.htm

Thanks JandM. As I knew would happen, I found that info myself just moments after deciding I'd never find it and asking on here. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Such as this one...

Do I need to initially enter New Zealand on my Residence visa at the same time as my Kiwi partner? Or is it ok to arrive a bit later than her?

Cheers

You can enter at a totally different time. That visa is yours, regardless of the fact that she was the reason it was awarded to you, so you can travel totally independently.

If you aren't eligible for immediate PR, you can qualify for it after a minimum of two years, in the same way as any other residence visa holder. (See the Permanent Residence page on the INZ website, which isn't answering right now!)