Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: studying/upskilling as a means to stay

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015

    Default studying/upskilling as a means to stay


    I think this is quite a unique question! I haven't been able to find any answers online.
    I saw an immigration lawyer to discuss my options as I would very much like to stay but have hardly any points and no recognised qualification on any skills list.
    I'm thinking of studying something on the skills list as a means to stay. I understand from the lawyer that I would be granted a year open work visa following study to allow me to get experience and a job.

    Im wondering if anyone else has experience of this? I'm on a working holiday visa a the moment which expires next September. I'd be looking to start study in Feb 2017 if possible though I don't know how far in advance of the course I'd be allowed to stay. I assume I'd have to leave the country come september even if i have an approved student visa for the following year?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    How long have you had already on your WHV? I see you're from England, so I'm asking if you've had the full 23 months you could have put in for.

    Yes, there are visas which allow you to stay and look for work after graduating from an approved course of study.

    There have been several forum members who have mentioned the post-study work visa.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts