Thread: Best time to look for work

Question Best time to look for work

Hi everyone

I have touched on this and some responses did confirm timelines that seem best to job hunt. I do need some more advice. If we arrived in October will it be all doom and gloom to secure employment in the ICT sector? We are aiming for September but everything depends on our department of home affairs, so we might only be able to arrive in October

The sooner the better i.e. between July to October is the best time, from what I have seen in the past July onwards fresh budget is allocated hiring managers plan their recruitment accordingly and as the time goes, the money is spent across projects and slowly the candle tends to burn out. Avoid the time between November to March.

Agree with Sun777. I'd also add remember you can start looking and applying before you arrive, that way you can make contacts and perhaps even have interviews/meetings lined up for when you arrive!

Hello wellywearer and Sun777, I am also seeking for job, no work visa yet but currently living in Christchurch on a visitor visa, we just lodged our application for partnership based work visa and hoping for its approval. However, may I ask, would it be advisable to do walk in applications? I am in the administration field and understand that the competition is very high. May I seek your good advice on applying for this role or any related role on what best move I can possibly do? Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by macosare View Post
    Hello wellywearer and Sun777, I am also seeking for job, no work visa yet but currently living in Christchurch on a visitor visa, we just lodged our application for partnership based work visa and hoping for its approval. However, may I ask, would it be advisable to do walk in applications? I am in the administration field and understand that the competition is very high. May I seek your good advice on applying for this role or any related role on what best move I can possibly do? Thank you very much!
    Yes, you can always attend interviews. I would suggest you can eavesdrop at local stores if they have any notices e.g. retails stores which are in the lookout for sales personnel/administrators/sales managers. You can also drop by consulting agencies and best way to break into the market would be to look for short term contracts or back filling roles where staff has gone on maternity leave.

Thank you Sun777! Noted.
    I am planning to go on temporary positions as a start and would not mind taking entry level jobs to gain NZ experience. Can you kindly suggest good agencies? I registered in Hays and Randstad.
    Thanks again for the helpful information! Cheers!

Clanonthemove, thank you for opening this topic and apologies for having started inquiries on your thread..

I would suggest you can register with all local agencies within Christchurch (KellyIT etc) to be open to all jobs. Sometimes the jobs are not advertised on TradeMe/Seek and agencies just refer them if they see right candidate.

That is great! Thanks again Sun777!

I get the impression any time is a good time - except Dec-Feb. People tend to go of on huge long holidays then. Otherwise people seems to always be coming and going in NZ. A few years in London, then back , then Oz etc. So there is a fair amount of turnover.