Thread: $62000 enough to live on for a couple in the Hutt Valley??

Default $62000 enough to live on for a couple in the Hutt Valley??

Hi!

We visited Wellington and the Hutt Valley in New zealand last year and really enjoyed our time there. My husband has been offered a job with a minimum wage of $62,000 possibly $72,000 within the hutt valley and just wondered if this is going to be enough for us to live on (just the two of us, no kiddies yet) I work in admin and would be looking for a job once we had arrived but i'm not too sure if i could work as i would be a dependant on my husbands visa? We are use to living on the one wage here in the UK and we don't mind living on beans and toast until we find our feet. We would need to rent a place to start with and i've had a look on Trade me and seen some nice properties for around $350 - $400. Any advice would be greatly appriecated!

Many Thanks

Because your husband is going to get a work visa, you can apply at the same time for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, which will allow you to take any job you want, skilled or not. If later on he applies for Residence, with you on the form as the secondary applicant, again, you will be able to take any job you want.

Hi there,

I would have thought you'd be OK, there are people who earn less than that and manage. And you say you'll look for a job too so your joint income will soon go up And if it doesn't then it's good you like beans although I believe the recipe is different here! I don't like them so couldn't say for sure!

I'm afraid I can't help on properties out that way though. Looking at Trademe is a great start to get an idea of what you'll get for your money.

Good luck, exciting times for you!

Red face It should be enough to start with

Quote Originally Posted by Strangey View Post
    Hi!

We visited Wellington and the Hutt Valley in New zealand last year and really enjoyed our time there. My husband has been offered a job with a minimum wage of $62,000 possibly $72,000 within the hutt valley and just wondered if this is going to be enough for us to live on (just the two of us, no kiddies yet) I work in admin and would be looking for a job once we had arrived but i'm not too sure if i could work as i would be a dependant on my husbands visa? We are use to living on the one wage here in the UK and we don't mind living on beans and toast until we find our feet. We would need to rent a place to start with and i've had a look on Trade me and seen some nice properties for around $350 - $400. Any advice would be greatly appriecated!

Many Thanks
    Rent is cheaper in Wellington as compare to all the major cities in NZ. Hutt valley is quite good to live and rent is also cheaper there as compare to Central Wellington. You should be able to get good house within $400 budget in that area however many houses are quite old in that area.

$62K and I'd be wondering about quality of life. Depending where in the Hutt Valley you end up, you might feel a bit cut off. It very much depends on what sort of lifestyle you have. Personally, if I were the only income for a family, I would not come out for the bottom end of that range (even though it is something like twice the average wage). The top end of the range is a much more suitable option, but don't come for promises, as you've nothing to fall back on when they don't transpire.

Rent is the expensive part of the spends. We lived in central hutt for about 450 p/w in a 2 bedroom. But i would say that is top end. You should be able to find something for 250 - 300 p/w if you can compromise on the suburb or a smaller and functional space.

As with other spends, you can use http://www.enz.org/cost-of-living-in-new-zealand.html to calculate your expenses. You might not need everything in the list to start with.

You could get by but it would be pretty tough to be honest.

Depending on how you live it should not be bad. Without a kid you can find places in the Hutt for around $250 wk.