Thread: Is 85$k per year enough for couple without kids

Question Is 85$k per year enough for couple without kids

Hi all,

I got job offer for Frontend developer position in Auckland(North shore). So I basically have 2 questions:
    Is 85k average salary for that position?
    Is 85$k per year enough for couple without kids?

We already looked at houses, I guess half of my pay will go bills and rent.

I'd say yes, but it also depends on your experience and if you feel its not too much of salary drop from your current expectations. Most part of my salary also goes for rent but that's something we have accepted in the choices. If your office is in North Shore then it also gives you some scope to move outside the main Auckland city and rentals will be relatively cheap plus you get to beat the peak hour traffic (which people encounter while driving towards CBD)

Coming back to your original questions (this is just my opinion BTW)

Is 85k average salary for that position? [Yes, but also depends on your experience]

Is 85$k per year enough for couple without kids? [Yes]

I would say 'yes' for both questions.

What kind of development? 85k is a reasonable salary...

It equates to $1,246.11 per week in your hand. I don't personally think this would be enough to live on, unless you manage to find cheapish rent as most rentals are around $600 per week average i would think.
    It would be quite a tight budget.

Yes to both questions. You could increase your income by sending your partner out to work too.

I would say it should be enough to start with. There might be some unexpected costs that you would have to deal with once you get used to living in New Zealand.

Just to mention, here are a few things Car Registration, WOF, Car Insurance, Car Warranties, Contents Insurance, Medical Insurance, Occasional Doctor visits etc.,

you could also use this calculator. http://www.enz.org/cost-of-living-in-new-zealand.html

Cannot offer any other advice than it all depends on the rental price. As I would assume you fairly easy can add up the cost of food and such. I also found the calculator to be a great tool.