Thread: how is the work period of a WHV worked out?

Default how is the work period of a WHV worked out?

I rang IMNZ about this and was told that while i was employed, that time was coming off my WHV. I took this to mean that if i worked 1 day a week for a month, i would lose a month of my visa.
    I've spoken to an immigration lawyer and he has told me that if I'm technically employed in the eyes of IRD but not earning, this isnt coming off my visa.

I have been working in tourism so finished at the end of may for winter. My boss hasn't officially ended my employment yet so I'm not sure if I've lost 2 weeks of my WHV even though I haven't been working?

The other thing id like to know is how it work be worked out with casual work as I, like so many others, did some casual fruit picking when I first arrived.

I'd like to do some temp work but if i work part time hours, I've no idea how much is going to come off my working allowance.

Has anyone got any idea on this? cant find anything online at all! its a bit too specific a question but surely others must have wondered?

I hope someone will be along with some experience to help you. I haven't seen the matter mentioned on the threads before.

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/7513 The last part of this shows that they don't admit part-time equivalence. If you work ANY time on a day, that day is gone from your visa allowance.

thanks for that. that part I think I've got but its more whether i work 3 or 5 days in a week whether that is a week off the visa regardless?

I've spoken to an immigration lawyer and he has told me that if I'm technically employed in the eyes of IRD but not earning, this isnt coming off my visa.
    I think what this lawyer has told you makes sense and is fair. There's nobody around here that has ever reported losing great chunks of their visa time when they weren't actually doing anything for the employer, as in the pessimistic scenario you have in mind. If you're still bothered, can you get the lawyer to put his interpretation in writing? Then in the unlikely event that INZ challenged you on your working time, you would have the evidence that you had asked for clarification and gone on in accordance with the professional opinion.

I hope so because i have asked my employer on multiple occasions to confirm that he has terminated my employment for now but he has yet to do it. its been a big worry for me!