Thread: Help with Visa Application!!!

Default Help with Visa Application!!!

Hi all, so my friend has been living and working in NZ for the last two years - she came here on a student visa, and when she finished her course, decided to stay on working for another year on the working visa.
    She has been working for an IT firm since September 2014, and her Visa expires on the 2/7/15. She discussed this with her work and her managers agreed to support her with her visa application for an essential skills visa - the process was started in May however they have been putting things off, and messing things about a bit. Last week they told her that they would no longer support her visa and would in fact terminate her contract as of the 2/7/15 - three weeks before her visa runs out!
    She was on a fixed term contract that was dependant on her visa, and within this they are able to chose not to renew her contract. We are aware that her manager her done this previously to another international regarding the visa. We have had an appointment with an employment lawyer to get some advice and will be returning next week. She also has a partner here in NZ

She is able to extend her visa by 12 months however would not be able to work within this time.

So the situation is that she will have no job in two and half weeks, her visa expires, and she wants to stay in the country.
    I just wondered if anyone had any ideas/advice or know anything about such a situaiton where someone is able to extend their visa and work or any other visa that we may have overlooked? Everything and anything would be helpful.
    Thanks!

While someone replies back on other visas, can your friend look for another job before current contract expires

Just wondering, didn't lawyer provide with any other options? I would have expected them to know more.

You mentioned she has a NZ partner? First thing that comes to my mind would be a partnership based work visa. Do they live together?

Your friend may have a claim against the employer for exploitation, depending on what proof she has of what was said to her and what happened with the previous foreign national, but that won't help with the visa situation.

If the lawyer is concentrating on that angle, in her place the best thing to do is to consider the suggestions above - another skilled job, and/or looking to see if she qualifies to be sponsored for a temporary work visa by her partner.

Just thinking along what JandM said, do you as an employee qualify for EAP?