Thread: Selling house in UK from NZ

Default Selling house in UK from NZ

Hi All, does anyone have experience of doing this. I have recently been communicating with Cheltenham and Gloucester about renting our current UK home out. It was a nightmare with their antiquated systems and processes but have sorted finally.
    I would like to pass the authority to a family member in the UK to sell our property as and when so I don't need to go through this rigmarole again.
    Has anyone had experience of this. Cheers.

You have my deepest sympathy about having to communicate with Cheltenham and Gloucester. I had a terrible time last year while paying off the mortgage with them on my late mother's property. They kept wanting to speak to her, and sending letters addressed to her at the empty property, even after having the death certificate, and probate. It's a charming thing for the bereaved next of kin to have to shout down the phone at successive clerks that your mother is DEAD.

I remember there have been others on the forum who gave power of attorney to relatives back in the UK, so I hope someone will be along with some experience soon.

We are in the process of selling our home in the UK. We were going to give our son power of attorney but our solicitor said If we had not already done it then it was the same effort as selling the house from NZ.
    So far it is going well, we sign and email paperwork and then courier the originals over.
    The hardest part was getting them to accept proof of identity and residence. We offered originals in some cases but they insisted on certified copies.

Simon