Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Favorite Thing, Specific to New Zealand?

Default What Is Your Favorite Thing, Specific to New Zealand?

As we are getting closer to the wire and a bit frantic with the amount of things to be done we've been having a bit of a freak-out session. You know: you start to doubt every aspect of your plan and wonder if you're as mad as everyone is too polite to say they think you are? I was hoping to hear what everyone's "favorites" were about living in New Zealand. Please be as specific or as general as you'd like.

Vann

Hi Vann,

We are still in the UK so I can't tell you anything about my favourite things but as our plans move from distant dream towards being real and achievable I've started to also have moments of freaking out and wondering why on earth we are thinking of up rooting our family and moving to the other side of the world. It's a bit of a leap of faith and sometimes I want to stay well within my comfort zone. But I know that if a friend were to ask for advice about emigrating that I'd say to go for it, you only live once and I think there would be regrets if a great opportunity were passed up. So I try to give myself that pep talk. The other thing that I've been doing is looking at photos online of our most likely destination (Facebook can be good for this - look up the tourist page for the city you'll be in) and after shuffling through countless stunning photos I can't imagine not giving it a shot, at least. Life won't be all beautiful beaches and food festivals (sadly) but there will be some of that at least

Good luck with your plans.

Gosh, it's hard to narrow it down to just one thing. I think what I love most is the lack of people and over-crowding. Of course, this isn't really relevant to the larger cities. Coming from the UK, it's difficult to travel anywhere without coming across lots of towns and cities and traffic and people. Here, I can drive sometimes for hours and only come across a small township or community. I live in the North of the South Island, and the scenery is breathtaking. Similar to the Scottish Highlands where I grew up, but the climate is much better here! You can go to the beach and even if it's "busy", you'll still feel like you've got a part of the beach to yourself.

On the South Island, my favourite thing is the dramatic and quick changing landscape. Going from sea, to plains, to mountains in just a short distance makes every journey feel like an adventure.

Kids happily in bare feet all through the year. And Whitakers dark chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Kids happily in bare feet all through the year. And Whitakers dark chocolate.
    Well I'm Vann's other half that is "freaking" out... I have to say that I'm looking forward to tasting the chocolate both with anticipation as well as a bit of worry as the Norwegian chocolate is rather delicious...

So quiet & peaceful.. If this place is not safe then am sure other places might be worse imo.

There is such a long list of things but one that might be on the random side......Feijoa's.

Not everyones cup of tea but I love these little things.

I live a few minutes walk to the beach so the only noises I hear is the sound of the ocean at night and seagulls in the morning.

The other thing I love is even in the middle of winter, if you are in the sunshine, it's warm (at least to me!)

Other people's attitude. Probably helped by the lack of crowding, great scenery and all that, but the single most important thing to me is that (generally) folks are soooo much more positive, friendly, "she'll be right", "have a go" than I was surrounded by in Britain. May not be so true in Auckland, and I'm not saying everyone or everything is perfect by a long way, but living in Dunedin is like I can breathe properly for the first time.
    Nearly 5 years in and it still catches me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast