Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IELTS requirement for partner under partnership residence visa

Post IELTS requirement for partner under partnership residence visa

Hi Good evening everyone. I am residence class visa holder. My wife is going to apply residence visa under partnership category. What IELTS requirements she need.
    Thanks in advance.

Recent IELTS certificate with an overall band score of 5 or better in the General or Academic modules. Other proofs accepted by INZ are in this link

I think 6.5 ...

if i am not wrong its just 5.
    6.5 is for primary applicant and partner's is 5

Some confusion is happening here. The original poster asked about English requirements for a spouse applying for partner-sponsored residence. These are not the same as for a partner being included on an application for SMC Residence.

The spouse applying for partner-sponsored residence comes under these regulations. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46515.htm If s/he COULD have been included on her/his partner's residence previously, but wasn't, s/he will have to show English ability which would have been required at the time (which would have been IELTS with an average score of 5). If s/he COULDN'T have been included, then it seems there is no requirement.

A spouse being included on an application for residence under SMC has to show IELTS with an average score of 5, or pay up front for ESOL lessons to be taken once in NZ, if no points are being claimed for his/her qualification. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30541.htm If points are being claimed for his/her qualification, there has to be IELTS with an average score of 6.5 or equivalent, the same as for a principal applicant. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42640.htm and http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm

(Edited to add that I've just checked, and the original poster hasn't been on this forum since this post back in June, so he could have sponsored his wife long since! Still, maybe the information will be useful to someone reading this later.)

Hi JandM,
    Good Morning,

I just applied for residence visa for my wife last week. My friend's wife applied under partnership class residence visa and they don't asked for IELTS. So we also not submitted IELTS. I think they don't want IELTS for partnership based residence visa. Will let you know what is decision.

Thank you.

Approved in principle on 04/12/2015. Thanks to everyone on forum specially JandM

Processed at Manukau Branch
    Applied on 03/11/2015
    Called to INZ 19/11/2015
    Fees debited 20/11/2015
    Approved in Principle 04/12/2015:
    bd

IELTS not required as i think she was not included in my SMC visa application.

Hi singhtherex,

congrats for your wife's residency.

Can I ask if your wife was already your partner when you got residency under SMC?
    Or she became your wife after you getting SMC visa?
    Because my friend's wife who applied for partnership-based residency is required English ability evidence..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast