Thread: Auto CAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Auto CAD

Hi everyone, since my return (to the Yuk) I've spent a lot of time planning my return to NZ one day (we have PR). One problem we had out in NZ was the low salary teachers are paid (the OH teacher) so inorder to try and get the life style we want I'm gonna have to chip in some how. Apart from a good few years in property management (my job was quite open ended and unique to the company I worked for) and 3 years with social services I really do not have the qualifications NZ are looking for. That is apart from my recently acquired City & Guilds Level 2 & 3 in Auto CAD.
    My question is, are CAD operators required in NZ and if so what sort of experience is needed. By the way I do not have an engineering back ground just a keen intrest in building/design work and love CAD drawing (I know boring but what the hec!). So if you think you can help me.................David

David-

I've seen quite a few CAD listings on seek.co.nz. Just do a keyword search and see what it brings up. There are also a number of job sites that are for the more technically-minded, engineer types. I'm in the creative field myself and scurry away from those as quickly as possible but since I'm an obsessive note-keeper, so see the partial list below. In the meantime, I'm sure there are others in the forum that can point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Susan

careers.govt.nz
    searchworks.co.nz
    quidr.co.nz
    powerhousepeople.co.nz
    alphajobs.co.nz
    roblaw.co.nz
    jobstuff.co.nz

Hi David,

I'm a Architectural Technology student (Draughting,CAD etc) The wages aren't brilliant in this area either! But I don't think the poor wages you speak of that are offered in the teaching profession is relative to the job, it's N.Z. in general! We have been told as a newly qualified Draughter / Technician or even Designer that for the first 5 years the salary will be pretty bad! We have been here 18 months now, and without exception every migrant I've spoken to has remarked on the unbelievable wages.

It is a good idea to check out the web sites for availability, but unlike the UK it is very vare that a job is advertised with a salary, so it's really hard to find out how much you are likely to be paid.

Best of luck with your search. How's Scarborough? We are from West Yorks and have relatives in Osgodby and Seamer.

Donna.

Default Did you really say Seamer

Hi Donna and ta for the reply, looking like I'll need a plan B am C! I'll get working on that then....Watch this space!
    What a funny old world Donna we live in Seamer, well I'll go to the bottom of our stairs. Yeah we have lived in Seamer for just over six years and are now (following our return from NZ) buying a big old place down on Crab Lane (near Crossgates) to do up and may sell on if we decide to come back to NZ. Time will tell.
    So where abouts in NZ are you guys..............? Bet it's a tad warmer than sunny old Scarborough at the moment a chilly 7 today. Bet that makes your low wage feel better.
    All the best and if you are any where near Wellington or Nelson in 16 months or so we are heading back for a recci to help us make our minds up, perhaps a or three.....................David

Hi Dave
    The bloke is a CAD draughtsman and we managed to come over here as he was sponsered to come over here for his new job.

I would say there are in demand - he is a senior draughtsman and his wages is pretty good.

Hi David,

We are on Tauranga, Papamoa to be exact! A beer ot three would be very nice, but we are a quite a few Km's away from Windy & Nelly. The weather here is warm, but wet today!

I'm not going to say anymore on the rellies, Seamer's very small, I wouldn't be surprised if you know them!!!

On the Job topic...Like every other job, there is demand in the major cities, and they may pay more (slightly!) and employers will pay more for having 7 - 10 years experience behind you. I think if you are willing to go to a part of NZ that has less migration then other parts, salaries tend to be better, my hubby could earn 25% more if we lived in/around New Plymouth...it's a big balancing act, then, when you decide on a job and a place you want to live, you never know whether you made the right choices!

Anyway, the very best of luck with the renovation (not sure where Crab Lane is, but I know where Crossgates is), keep warm and I hope it's a white christmas!

Donna.

Hi Donna,
    you are right Seamer is a small place with one road in and one out, hopefully in a year or two we will see the road out again! Once again ta for the info it sounds like plan 'B' has to be put into action.
    Yeah we hope it's a white christmas to the kids would love it, mind give me the sun shine any day (a freezing -2 last night scraping ice from car window at 7.15 this morning, grrreat!).
    All the best.........David

Have a look at Beca (beca.com), they are a large NZ construction company that always has a large number of CAD positions.