Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Temporary Resident Visa

Default NZ Temporary Resident Visa

Hello Everyone

I have a question to ask. I have got NZ Resident Permit. Its written Visa Expiry Undefinite.

What is it means. I mean this NZ Resident Permit is valid for undefinate period.

I have temporary Resident visa. Initial one once you get it after immigration case is successful.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Regards

If you have Residence, while you are in New Zealand that visa lasts forever.

When your Residence is issued, you get with it two years' travel conditions, which allow you to go out and come back into NZ freely as many times as you like for two years. After two years, if you were outside NZ and your travel conditions had expired, you would not have permission to go back to NZ, so your Residence would lapse - you could not use that visa any more, but would have to start again and get a new one.

HOWEVER, when you have lived for two years with a Residence visa, if you have mostly lived in NZ, you can get a different visa called Permanent Residence. The requirements are here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm This visa will let you come and go from NZ for always.

Hi Thank you. Question, can temporary one be extendable if for permanent residence time period is not met yet. I mean I know I have to live some time to be eligible for permanent residence permit. Mine is not meeting that so can i apply for extension of new temporary one.

Look in the sidebar on that link, under Requirements for a variation of travel conditions, and Requirements for a second or subsequent residence visa, for other INZ pages that tell you the regulations you need to know about.

By the way, you don't have to apply for permanent residence as soon as you have had residence for two years. If you are now living in NZ, you can just stay on the residence visa until you have met the requirements, counting BACKWARDS from the date when you apply.

Hi Thank you. Let me explain more in detail my case.

I made my first entry in May 2014. Since then I am working outside NZ but went 2-3 times to find job but unfortunately unlucky so far. As far as I know temporary is valid for 2 years. Now from my first entry I have time till May 2016. Question if I still could not find any thing till May 2016 will my temporary one will be extended.

Or If I leave my current job permanently and go back to NZ now will I be eligible to get extended (my temporary one). As far I know I need to be in NZ and have spent some time in NZ and paid taxes. Does that clause is also eligible for extension of temporary visa. I am asking help for my temporary residence permit extension only. As I don't have enough days to be eligible for permanent residence.

Thank you

Your residence is NOT temporary. Once you are in NZ, it will last for the rest of your life. It is only the travel conditions that run out after two years (May 2016 in your case, from what you are saying). If you are in NZ at that time, you can stay there, and you can take any job at all - it does not have to be a skilled job - or you could start a business. There are no requirements for that to happen. You already have the right to stay.

As far I know I need to be in NZ and have spent some time in NZ and paid taxes.
    No. This is only for extending your travel conditions, so you could come and go from the country for longer (look at the sidebar on the link). For staying in the country, there are no requirements on you. Later on, when you have enough days for PR, you will be able to come and go again as much as you want, because PR has no limit on travel.

Does that clause is also eligible for extension of temporary visa. I am asking help for my temporary residence permit extension only.
    Your residence does not need to be extended. It already lasts forever, allowing you to stay in the country.

I don't have enough days to be eligible for permanent residence.
    You can just stay in NZ, and apply for PR when you have got enough days.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your residence is NOT temporary. Once you are in NZ, it will last for the rest of your life. It is only the travel conditions that run out after two years (May 2016 in your case, from what you are saying). If you are in NZ at that time, you can stay there, and you can take any job at all - it does not have to be a skilled job - or you could start a business. There are no requirements for that to happen. You already have the right to stay.

No. This is only for extending your travel conditions, so you could come and go from the country for longer (look at the sidebar on the link). For staying in the country, there are no requirements on you. Later on, when you have enough days for PR, you will be able to come and go again as much as you want, because PR has no limit on travel.

Your residence does not need to be extended. It already lasts forever, allowing you to stay in the country.

You can just stay in NZ, and apply for PR when you have got enough days.
    As far as I read the question the problem is that the poster does NOT live in New Zealand at the moment...., due to not being able to find a suitable job. So at some stage he won't be allowed back into the country.

Yes, I see that. But he has said above, "Or If I leave my current job permanently and go back to NZ now will I be eligible to get extended (my temporary one)." So he's understood about getting back to NZ before the expiry date of the travel conditions, and yet thinking residence is temporary, not just the travel conditions.

Please note that you also have the option of having your travel conditions extended if you meet certain criteria at the time of your application. Look at form INZ 1175 for further explanation.

Hi

Thank you for your response. So understanding better as I have temporary residence permit, I need to come back before May 2016. And can I travel outside NZ again after May 2016. or my travel conditions are over on temporary onces. Incase I leave afterwards, I will never be able to come back.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast