Thread: Engineering Professional NEC

Default Engineering Professional NEC

Hi All,

I am currently under open work visa and planning to apply for my residency under SMC soon as I have an ongoing full time permanent job from an accredited employer in the same field of my study. However the job title & descriptions are highly specific and cant be linked to any ANZSCO code apart from the ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS NEC.

I heard from someone that applying under ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS NEC would make things easy as there is no ANZSCO job description to match to. And as long as the job description states that an engineering degree is required for this job and the pay rate is good it wouldn't be a problem.

And also, would it make any difference if I have a job offer from an accredited employer with reference to residence application under SMC?

Pardon me if I seem to get a wrong idea, but just wanted your advice on this issue, so I would get a much clearer picture. Any inputs on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Last edited by optimistic; 27th June 2015 at 02:01 AM.

I heard from someone that applying under ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS NEC would make things easy as there is no ANZSCO job description to match to.
    Correct. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....+Professionals
    And as long as the job description states that an engineering degree is required for this job and the pay rate is good it wouldn't be a problem.
    Yes. And the requirements for bonus points for LTSSL, if you need them, are quite broad. http://skillshortages.immigration.go...essionals-nec/

And also, would it make any difference if I have a job offer from an accredited employer with reference to residence application under SMC?
    No, actually. All that an accredited employer is, is one who has previously gone through the formalities with INZ to employ foreign skilled workers, showing that they have a need for them and that they understand the legal requirements. Otherwise, they're not somehow better employers. For the purposes of applying under SMC, you just need to show that your job meets the requirements for skilled employment. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30545.htm

Thanks a lot for taking your time out and replying JandM. Just to add one more doubt, When I checked for Engineering Professionals NEC on ANZSCO

"This unit group covers Engineering Professionals not elsewhere classified.
    It includes Aeronautical Engineers, Agricultural Engineers, Biomedical Engineers, Engineering Technologists, Environmental Engineers and Naval Architects (Aus) / Marine Designers (NZ)."

Does it mean that only the people with designations from the above mentioned list can apply for this job code?

Cheers!

No, absolutely not - those jobs are just examples of some who COULD use this designation.

Thanks JandM

Sorry to bug you again, but when I was looking upto the qualification requirements for LTSSL, it states that a level 7 degree is required. Does that mean that I cant convey to the immigration that this is a skilled job? I am confused as the only occupation for Level 9 listed is Lecturer and I am pretty sure there would be many Master's people working in NZ in engineering roles.

I also came across this on the immigration website under the SMC information page,

If your occupation is listed at Part A of Appendix 6: List of Skilled Occupations, you must also have one of the following:
    a relevant recognised qualification – the qualification must be at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) that corresponds to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the ANZSCO
    the relevant work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification
    the relevant requirements specified in column three of the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for your occupation (if your occupation is included in the LTSSL)
    full or provisional registration for your occupation (if your occupation requires New Zealand registration by law to be undertaken)
    five years of relevant work experience in a Skill Level One occupation.

Again, thanks for all your help

I think you are confusing yourself by looking at notes relating to applying for various possible different visas. You need to concentrate on what is required for SMC. You need to ensure that you can show evidence for a minimum of 100 points, under the regulations here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm See SM6 for a chart, which then directs you on to the other sections as relevant for each group of points.

LTSSL only applies to an SMC application if you are claiming bonus points for qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage, which you don't HAVE to claim if you have enough points from other factors on the list.

Regarding your quote from here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ledemployment/, and your concern about it. Your job only has to meet ONE of those criteria. Presumably from what you have said, you have a Level 9 qualification? If that is correct, then you meet the criterion "the qualification must be at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) that corresponds to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the ANZSCO." Looking on the relevant ANZSCO page http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....+Professionals, you find this.
    Indicative Skill Level:
    In Australia and New Zealand:

Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
    (my bolding)