Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I eligible for SMC ?

Default Am I eligible for SMC ?

Hi
    Greetings to all. I am completely new to this forum and asking for your important guidelines about SMC in my case.
    My details particulars are below:

-B.Sc in computer science and engineering(4 years)
    -MBA(marketing) (2 years)
    -3 years 3 month experience in developing software in multinational software company.
    -7 years experience in software maintenance and support in a government financial organization.
    - IELTS overall band score 6.5
    All qualifications and experiences are gained in Bangladesh which might not a comparable labor market. My qualifications are not exempt from assessment
    and skilled occupation is "Software Engineer(261313)". I am 33 years old and single.
    I have many confusions about calculating my point . Can I expect level 9 for my degree as I can claim 60 points? Do I meet 140 points to be invited for ITA
    if NZQA assessment is good ? or Should I go for IQA right at this moment?

Sorry for asking too many questions ? Thanks in advance.
    Regards

Hi,

This is not an immigration advice (since I am not immigration adviser), this is just my point of view.

You should get IQA report (NZQA) on your qualifications, and if you get for example for the MBA(marketing) - comparative assessment outcome: A master's degree at level 9 / you can claim 60 points

Then if you get for your B.Sc degree in computer science and engineering - comparative assessment outcome: for example A Bachelor of Information Technology or some equivalent qualification at Level 7 / you can claim points for qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage / 10 points.

In that case if NZQA finds comparable qualification as yours you can also claim additional bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage (Example six or more year 15 points). So in general you would be able to claim the extra points for the Masters and also Bachelor degree if this one is comparable to some ICT NZ qualification. Also in that case you can gain the extra points and allows all your work experience to count even if it is not in a country considered to be a "Comparable Labour Market".

You should do IQA to see your chances, or at least PAR.

Best case scenario:

Relevant work experience :
    Ten years 30 points

Additional bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage:
    Six years or more 15 points

Points for qualification:
    Recognized level 9 or 10 post-graduate qualification (Masters degree, Doctorate) 60 points

Qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage 10 points

Points for age
    30 to 39: 25 points

All together: 140 points

PS.
    If you get valid job offer everything will be easier

Regards
    Last edited by Zof; 29th June 2015 at 09:37 AM.

The only catch I see is that you may not be able to claim points for your MBA & work experience (as Marketing & Software development are 2 distinctive fields and don't align in the same stream) at the same time.

This looks similar to mine except I get to claim points towards my partner's qualification, say 20 pts.

I'm a BSC (Physics, Math, Comp. Science) and MCA, of course both related to Computers and Software.

IQA not done yet, but I expect to

1) Get Level 9 for my MCA: 60 pts
    2) BSc comparability with S/W qual: so bonus 10 pts
    3) 6+ yrs of S/W exp: 20 pts
    4) Bonus for exp due to it being in Absolute skill shortage: 15 pts
    5) Partner qual (expect Level 7): 20 pts
    5) Age: 20 pts

Total: 145 pts.

The difference I see is the MBA - Marketing, and the post qual exp being unrelated to MBA.

However, I believe, the pts towards MBA, if assessed at Level 9 will still count as 60- I'm presuming it does NOT matter if the MBA is related to or unrelated to the S/W exp.

experts might be able to add value to this thread!

All the best
    Regards,
    laxgr

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    The only catch I see is that you may not be able to claim points for your MBA & work experience (as Marketing & Software development are 2 distinctive fields and don't align in the same stream) at the same time.
    Thanks for your valuable comment.
    I did MBA while doing my current job . As I said earlier, my job responsibility includes software support and maintenance as well as other non-tech works. My designation is
    "Senior officer" rather than "Software Engineer" or something like that.I am afraid if it fits for the NZQA "Software Engineer(261313)" occupation specification. Please guide
    me through the way.Do I need to send original certificates/transcripts to NZQA for IQA assessment?

Regards
    mamunbd

Quote Originally Posted by mamunbd View Post
    Do I need to send original certificates/transcripts to NZQA for IQA assessment?
    Recently I read on the tread where this was discussed about sending originals/certified copies. Have a look at this thread and make a decision. We sent originals and had no issue during the process.

My designation is "Senior officer" rather than "Software Engineer" or something like that. I am afraid if it fits for the NZQA "Software Engineer(261313)" occupation specification.
    It doesn't matter what your job title is, because an employer can call a job whatever he likes that makes sense to him within his own business. What matters is that his description of your responsibilities should match up as closely as possible to the ANZSCO listing.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It doesn't matter what your job title is, because an employer can call a job whatever he likes that makes sense to him within his own business. What matters is that his description of your responsibilities should match up as closely as possible to the ANZSCO listing.
    Hi all
    Thank you for showing me light .
    I have completed MBA degree while doing my job. So it is not a full time study. They call it executive MBA. Will it affect the assessment? or NZQA going to cut down my experience during the study period? I am trying to make up 140 point by having the assessment although it is not directly related to my profession. Another issue is that I have got the provisional certificate of the degree. Will it be acceptable to NZQA? or I should collect the original certificate first? I am afraid that my university may take substantial amount of time to provide me the original one.
    Sorry for asking too many questions.
    Best regards,
    mamun

What hours were you working while doing the MBA? If you were working a minimum of 30 hours per week, this counts as full-time, and your total number of years of work experience won't be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    What hourse were you working while doing the MBA? If you were working a minimum of 30 hours per week, this counts as full-time, and your total number of years of work experience won't be affected.
    Thanks JandM
    I was doing 40 hrs/week. So I think it would not affect the working hour or the degree itself. Will NZQA accept provisional certificate as the university is yet to supply the original one?
    Regards
    mamunbd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast