Thread: NZ citizenship confusion

Default NZ citizenship confusion

Hi all..
    Im confused about nz citizenship. How many years we have to stay continually to get nz passport.
    Web site said 5 years..
    Here is my confusion if i stay in nz for 2 years on partnership based temp work visa and after that I stayed for 3 years on PR visa. So 2+5 is 5 years.. Can I count like this.
    Or
    The 1st year will start when i get my nz PR visa...
    The temporary visa stay doesn't count for citizenship eligibility..

Thanks

Unlike countries such as Canada, NZ gives zero credit for time spent on work permits prior to getting residence. So it's 5 years from the date you activated your first residency visa in NZ. The period of both residence and permanent residence visas both count equally, however.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Unlike countries such as Canada, NZ gives zero credit for time spent on work permits prior to getting residence. So it's 5 years from the date you activated your first residency visa in NZ. The period of both residence and permanent residence visas both count equally, however.
    thanks for your reply.. what is difference between residence visa and Permanent visa..
    i knw abt PR visa.. but what visas comes in residence visa...???

thanks

UK is the same, they only count the years that you have been in the country with indefinite leave to remain.

what visas comes in residence visa...?
    Residence.

People get Residence as the successful outcome of applying under the Skilled Migrant Category, or after spending two years on a Work To Residence visa and meeting the requirements, or by being partner-sponsored by a NZ resident or citizen.

After you've been a Resident for at least two years, and meeting other requirements http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, you can get PR.

I see you said this above.
    if i stay in nz for 2 years on partnership based temp work visa
    As soon as you can prove that you have lived with your partner for 12 months, your partner can sponsor you for Residence. There is no need to stay extra time on the partner-sponsored temporary work visa. That way, you can qualify sooner for PR (2 years minimum from Residence), and also for citizenship (5 years minimum from Residence).