Thread: Residence Visa - Family Category [Scenario]

Default Residence Visa - Family Category [Scenario]

Hello, I'm new here and I would like to discuss my scenario and hope to get some advice.

My husband (of 4yrs) and the father of my daughter (2.5yo) is holding the PR Visa and currently residing in our home country, Malaysia.
    We would like to move to NZ for long term and now I am preparing my Residence Visa under Family Category.
    We planned to enter NZ during summer as we hope it would be easier for our daughter to cope with the gradual change of weather.
    Before sending out my application, I would like some advice on the following matters because I was informed that the processing time for the application may be about 3 - 6 months or it may take up to 6 - 9 months (gasp!).
    So, just a few questions that I need some advice on.

Q1
    Can my daughter and I enter NZ (as visitor for 3 months) with my husband after I've submitted my application offshore while in the midst of waiting for the result of my application?

Q2
    In relation to Q1, can my daughter and I apply for Temporary Visitor Visa while I'm waiting for the result of my RV application, while in NZ?

Q3
    Does my husband need to have a job offer before entering NZ?

I very much hope my questions do not confuse anyone and I need the help.

1 and 2. There are special categories for Partners of NZ residents and citizens, and Dependent children of NZ citizens and residents. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...alvisitors.htm There is no bar to having two applications in at the same time.

3. No. Being a NZ PR, he has the right to enter the country at any time without restriction.

So, do I have to submit both the RV and Temporary Visa application simultaneously?
    Or am I allowed to submit the Temp Visa during my stay in NZ within the 3 months?

I think you might get queried (delayed for interview) at the airport of entry if you go to enter NZ on an ordinary visitor's visa while already having a Residence application in. (All INZ computers are linked.) The official line for ordinary visitors is that they're going to visit and then leave again. Obviously, as the partner of a permanent resident, with a residence application in, you DON'T want to leave. And that slight mismatch can be taken as being a lie, and lying to INZ can be taken as fraud. I know that sounds like making a big deal of things, but it can happen.

But it's not certain that INZ will issue the visitors' visas. Every case is looked at individually.

Wow, thanks for the input. Really shine some light on this matter for me.
    You have been a GREAT help!

One question required in the application form is to know when is the PRV first granted.
    How can I check the date of the PR being granted to my husband?

It will be on his passport, this will be the day when "Permanent Residence Visa" is fixed on Principal Applicant's (husband) passport.

Oh, ok. It's just that he got his first PR label a few passport back. It so happens that we couldn't locate THE old passport.
    But it's alright. I think he can call the Immigration Contact Centre and check there.
    Thanks for the input though. Really appreciate it.