Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: work

Quote Originally Posted by L Ricko View Post
    thanks fern just so scared if i leave uk i will be giving up a good job and making a big decision just hope that nz can offer a comfortable lifestyle and works out there
    Hi I can understand your fears.Have you thought about contacting someone in NZ from the industry that you would work in, perhaps via Skype/email, that way you would at least know what kind of money you would be earning. Are you used to being frugal or plenty in the pocket.? You say you have been working 70-80 hours a week, that's a lot of hours, I wonder what the difference in wages would be if you did the 40 hours.? Would you be prepared to work less hours (less pay) to have more family life.?
    I guess that's what you would have to ask yourself.
    What kind of lifestyle do you have now, what are your preferences (are you outdoorsy, for example). You have to look at your own life and see what fits.
    I would agree.

so would you say many people just work a 40 hour week then?

In the past 3 jobs that I have worked (and what I have heard from my colleagues), working life is normally 40 hours/week - this could be more for people in shift but all the 3 contracts I had mentioned "minimum 40 hours a week".

Some employers allow flexible hours so this would mean that you can actually save on commute time (60-90 minutes/day) if you are an early bird.

What you've described is pretty much the Kiwi dream.

Seek and TradeMe Jobs are great places for your wide to start looking, but there is no substitute for personal connections and networking. You may hear things on site or she might find out about something talking to mums outside of the nursery. If you let your colleagues and friends know that you're after work, people will eventually come back to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123