Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: work

Default work

Hi all can anybody advise me on how easy it ill be for my wife to get work when we arrive in new Zealand she doesn't have any qualifications but is keen on doing anything? we have a 4 year old that will go to nursery so she is restricted to 20 hours a week i believe? Also i am a welder/fabricator i am currently a workshop foreman and we live on one wage (mine), will i be able to make enough money as a welder/fabricator in New Zealnd to maintain a good lifestyle

regards
    Lewis

It will depend on the area you are going to live in?

Hi Fern i have been to a seminar here in the UK and it looks to me like Christchurch is the place to go at the moment although i do like the look of the Bay Of Plenty can you advise thanks

Lewis

Hi Lewis, yes construction work is on going in Christchurch. Check out this web site for jobs in the Bay of Plenty. There are more to look at if you Google.
    www.seek.co.nz/jobs/in-bay-of-plenty

Thanks Fern are you a kiwi and if so how do you find the life style?

Hi Lewis, yes I'm a Kiwi,born & bred. I guess it depends on what a person wants from life as to how they find the lifestyle. I have been more than content with my life in New Zealand, it's all here as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Fern it will be a big step for me as i have a house to rent out in UK and also at 27 have a wife and a son to look after to lol decisions, where are you from in New Zealand then? do you think my wife would find work easy enough?

My hometown is Gisborne, I also lived in the Bay of Plenty for 20 years, then came back to the East Coast for a less humid climate. It depends on what your wife is hoping to do,(and location) as to whether she will find work.
    It will be a big step, can I ask your reasons for taking it.?
    Last edited by Fern49; 8th July 2015 at 11:10 AM.

Hi Fern to be honest this is my situation i am working 65 to 70 hours a week earn around 700 pound after tax which is ok money but you expect ok money after 70 hours don't you? i live in a place called Kent 30 mins from London and the cost of living is high i have a 2 bed house with no front garden and small back garden and it has a value of 220,000 pounds around the 460.000 NZ what i am trying to aim for is a better life style more time with family and from what they said at the seminar i went to,the wages are fairly similar to UK what do you think being a Kiwi? i don't live an extravagant life style in UK just want enough to live comfortably and pop out for few pints once a week and most importantly spend time with family.

regards
    Lewis

It obviously depends what sort of work your wife can do but mine has been looking for office manager / receptionist / admin type roles for months and there is really not much about. She has some qualifications and a good reference from a local employer.

On the bright side - there should be plenty of work for welder/fabricators in Christchurch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast