Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype interview arranged

Exclamation Skype interview arranged

Hi,

One of the NZ company has arranged a skype interview for senior java developer role, I am bit excited and also at the same time nervous too.

Pls share your experiences if anyone had interview via skype.

This is my first skype and NZ interview.

I hope everything will go smoothly.

As general guideline, make sure there is little to no background noise. Don't hesitate to ask the interviewer to repeat in case you don't understand the questions or find it difficult to relate certain terms. Connect via LAN cable rather than wifi, make sure there isn't too much stress on your internet speed.

Brush up terminologies, basics, challenges you have come across in your jobs, how those were resolved, times when it didn't go well, risks you took in those projects, what happened when risks were not completely resolved, any performance optimizations you did within your previous roles, how good/bad it went.

There might as well be more than one person interviewing you so be prepared for that too.Dress as if you were to attend the interview personally, this will give confidence in your body language and responses. Be honest & more importantly confident, they need you as much as you need the job

Sun777's covered most of the important things. I would also encourage you to use headphones with a microphone to ensure high quality sound. Close down any apps you don't need for the call to avoid pop ups and distractions. Place you laptop or camera in a position that shows your "head" shot: shoulders, neck and head, with nothing distracting behind you. Turn off phones and shut your door if anyone else will be home. Look at the camera lens as if you're looking into their eyes.

Don't worry about brushing your teeth... Good luck!

Good luck

Thank you all for your advice

Finger crossed

Good luck Roger_J.

I've just done that. I found the most difficult thing to not look at their faces but into the camera lens. I've since read a suggestion to put a photograph over the camera with a hole cut through so you look at that

The other thing to be aware of is that there is the odd lag, and sometimes it takes a bit for everything to be heard. So don't go rushing into longer and longer answers because you think they are not reacting because they haven' hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I've just done that. I found the most difficult thing to not look at their faces but into the camera lens. I've since read a suggestion to put a photograph over the camera with a hole cut through so you look at that

The other thing to be aware of is that there is the odd lag, and sometimes it takes a bit for everything to be heard. So don't go rushing into longer and longer answers because you think they are not reacting because they haven' hear you.
    How was you interview ? my interview is by tomorrow. Lets see how it goes :-)

Good Luck! Which company is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_J View Post
    How was you interview ? my interview is by tomorrow. Lets see how it goes :-)
    I got the job Good luck to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast