Thread: Citizenship letter of explanation, advice needed please!

Question Citizenship letter of explanation, advice needed please!

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and I hope some of the kind members here are able to offer me some advice.

I'm originally from the UK and have been living in NZ for almost 10 years and had permanent residency for the last 9. I have decided to take the plunge and apply for citizenship but would like some advice on writing a letter of explanation for some traffic infringements I've had over the last few years.

I have 5 speeding tickets dating back to 2009, only one within the last two years and only the last one where I was actually the driver of the car (others were wife's car that was registered to me). Now on the citizenship form it states that I require a letter of explanation but I'm not exactly sure what to write down! Would I need a letter for each offence?

Would anyone have any advice, perhaps even a template? I'd like to think that these are only minor offences and my wife says I have noting to worry about, but secretly I'm packing myself and I'd like to maximise my chances of citizenship being granted!

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Here is what we write as a cover letter, you can explain the circumstances and specifics of all the ticket nos. I doubt if you would be able to get away stating your partner was the driver as that particular offence must have been recorded against your name (if these were not corrected with NZ Police - this is just my personal understanding). Don't worry if you are not having the ticket nos handy, just let them know the approximate dates with as much details as possible.

Have a look at below template and write something with your own explanation.

Details: Traffic Infringement/Offence

Reference Number: PCxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was issued with Traffic Infringement notice PCxxxxxx for over-speeding in October 20xx. This offence occurred at xxxxx Road (Auckland) driving towards motorway where the speed limit momentarily drops from 100kmph to 80kmph and in this situation due to my oversight the speed of my car was about 95kmph.

The fine was duly paid in the month of December 20xx and the payment receipt is attached with this letter.

This happened to be my first traffic offence (in any country) since I have started driving, further I never had any speeding or other traffic offence.

<Name>

I hope that helps.

Hi Sun777,

Thank you so much for your advice and the example of your cover letter. This will be of great help.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me.