Thread: Partnership Category Temporary Work Visa - Documentation Question

Post Partnership Category Temporary Work Visa - Documentation Question

Hi there,

My husband and I submitted our application for a partnership category temporary work visa last week. He's a NZ citizen and I'm a US citizen. My husband and I met in 2001 and dated for a couple of years before returning to our homes. We started chatting again in 2012 as it turns out his company needed someone to go to Canada so I suggested we met up. We met up in October 2012 and by December 2012 things were hot and heavy. He was able to convince his company to send him to Canada while we worked on a relationship flying back and forth every 2-4 weeks depending on finances. By the summer he started working with his company to receive a visa to work remote in the US on some projects so we could be together. In December 2013 he visited for the holiday, we found a rental home and signed papers. In the background he's already chatted with my father and asked for my hand in marriage -- proposed before he headed back to Canada. He returned in mid Jan 2014 and we moved into our home the very next day. Unfortunately the home had significant water damage and after one year our lease wasn't renewed because they were to tear the home down to the studs. We moved into a temporary apartment with the intention of buying a home and then with some changes decided to instead shift gears and return to NZ. We finally received my FBI clearance letter and medical exam but the timing aligned with another move as the temporary building required we move again. We were putting together the application and trying to move at the same time so while we were able to submit the paperwork last Monday we failed to include the one year lease in the package. We also just realized we didn't include proof I'm covered through his medical, dental, and vision insurance plan which is provided by his company.

There were at least 1000 pages and here's what we did include:
    - Marriage certificate
    - Lease Addendums for one year lease (Jan 2014 - Jan 2015)
    - Email correspondence between Property Management group and my husband and I regarding leaks, repairs, alarm triggers by their staff/contractors, notices to enter the home, etc. (Feb 2014 - Jan 2015)
    - Over 15 two day legal notices to enter the unit for the property for the purposes of repairs (Feb 2014 - Jan 2015)
    - Rental Agreement for temporary apartment (Jan - Jun 2015)
    - Notice of Building demolition and termination of tenancy from temporary apartment
    - Monthly bank statements from joint checking & savings account from start of the account in Feb 2014 to present
    - Joint account financing for a furniture purchase (all months included)
    - Receipt for furniture with both of our names
    - All flights 2012 to present including visits during the long distance portion of our relationship to vacations we've taken together (27 or 28 flights)
    - Rental and Car insurance statement with both our names
    - Letters from our parents and friends regarding our relationship and the public aspects of the relationship
    - Our letters outline our relationship from inception - break - today how we met, how we met again, what lengths we went through to be together, day to day living together like who takes care of what in the home, financial interdependence, goals we've achieved together, goals we're working on achieving together, etc.
    - Google hangout chats from July 2012 - Present (587 pages)
    - Facebook messages including the original re-connection (80 pages of screen shots)
    - Emails to one and other
    - Thumb drive with photos 80+ of us together and with family & friends

I have no idea if the missing lease is going to be a big issue with the lease addendums included and multiple 2-day legal notices to enter along with months of emails about repairs and maintenance from both my husband and I taking point on issues.

We're both very concerned about the miss on the lease. They were already in contact and it was confirmed via email the application is being processed (not sure what this means). I have the lease and I've asked the Immigration Officer who reached out but I'm certain she's very busy so I don't know when/if I'll hear back. Is this going to be simple such as scanning & emailing the lease to INZ or will the application be denied and requiring us to start over from scratch?

If you have experience with a similar issue I'm interested to hear your more about your circumstance and outcome. Any advice?

the application is being processed (not sure what this means)
    That means they have started working your case, which means checking out your evidence, including in some cases contacting third parties to verify that it is genuine.

In your place, I would scan and email copies of the missing lease papers to the official you heard from, explaining that they were accidentally left out, and say that you are ready to send the originals if required. Give full details of who you are and the date of your original application, to make it more easily possible to connect this with your file.

It is normal that INZ officials work cases in rotation, doing as much as they can on one file (e.g. sending out questions), then putting it to the back of the queue and going on to the next, and the next and so on. They will not see your file again until it has worked its way once more to the front of the queue. Any replies that come meantime will be put in the file wherever it is waiting in line, but will not be taken notice of till it is once again that file's turn for attention. So don't be alarmed by the lack of immediate response from the IO who contacted you.

Thanks for you advice. I'll follow up as you advised and get the papers out straight away.

I do have another question.... Today I received a notice my medicals are require further medical review by the medical assessor in Wellington. She stated my medicals were submitted directly from the doctor to the INZ health team in Wellington and they weren't able to tell me why my medicals were selected. Is this par for the course?

I had to call the clinic to remind them to submit the details and they shared everything looked good. I'm concerned because the doctor and staff shared it all looked okay but now it's gone off for a second review. The only things I can identify as possible issues are my BMI slightly higher than the normal range as I'm about 13 lbs over the average range and I've been on ADD medication for a couple of years. I'm not so much worried about my BMI but after reviewing the health check details I'm concerned about my meds being a cause of denial.

This section http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35154.htm shows you all the health requirements for different visas. You don't sound as if you have any of the absolute 'no' conditions.

We have noticed in the past that, apart from a doctor having to tick 'abnormal' for anything when filling out the form, there must be certain key words that make INZ officials refer a medical, because it has happened to several people when they weren't expecting it. But this isn't anything that is publicly stated. All you can do is be ready to respond in case the MAs ask for more information from your own doctor.

As you're aware that your BMI is high, and in case that turns out to be the issue, it would not be a bad idea to take steps to reduce your weight in the meantime. You could go to your doctor and get him/her to record what you are now, and the regime s/he recommends, then, if you get a call for more information from the MA, the doctor would be able to state what s/he has advised, and what progress you have made in the meantime. (Just for information, here http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26174 is the story of one lady's BMI, and the MA's reaction to it.)

Thank you for providing the links. My BMI is 28.7 which is below 30 and below obesity but any reason to lose a few pounds is probably a good one I appreciate your experience and knowledge!

I talked to my doctor and she suggested she's had issues with other folks immigrating on ADD medication but hasn't had anyone going to NZ. Fortunately she's happy to write a letter or change my meds if necessary. I did some research and it looks like the medication I'm on isn't offered in NZ so it may confusion about the particular medication and what it is OR concern about the medication which hopefully an agreement to switch will resolve the issue. For now, it's speculation so I hope they give me an opportunity to respond and provide context.

I'll let you know what I find out should it help others in a similar circumstance in the future.