Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US to NZ: Do I bring my 120V vacuum, mixer and food processor?

Default US to NZ: Do I bring my 120V vacuum, mixer and food processor?

Torn between whether or not to purchase a step down transformer and bring my Dyson vacuum, Kitchenaid Mixer and Cuisinart Food Processor. I've read varying personal experiences on other forums - some say these items work great as long as you have a large enough transformer (double the wattage), and others say anything with a motor (which all of these items have) will not work well. Anyone have personal experience with these specific items? Thank you!

Can't be specific, hope this may help

they will all work with a suitable transformer BUT

they will run nearly 20% slower and somewhat hotter. The extra heat is probably not an issue for motors that don't run for long periods but the loss of speed could make quite a difference, particularly to the Dyson.

I just bought 7 (!) of these for home home theater bits and other household items. One of them will be for the my KitcheAid mixer and (hopefully) waffle iron.
    https://www.bombayelectronics.com/Pr...Code=ELC_T2000
    Good reviews on Amazon but better pricing from Bombay.

This site has a few videos showing mixes/blenders running off transformers. I didn't not buy from them but hope for the same result.
    http://www.tortech.com.au/step-down-...wn-transformer

I opted not to bring my vacuum not only because of the power but because it was a specific call-out on one of the customs forms I was filling out.
    I'm trying to avoid as many red-flags as possible!

An acquaintance of mine also had an electrician wire something into a couple of plugs in his kitchen--I assume it's a built-in step down to 110.

All those items will work fine with a transformer with no issues and you only need rate it for the highest item, 1 KVA is plenty. Most likely since they are intermittent-use appliances they all will have series-wound brushed motors that do not care about line frequency. Only those with induction or synchronous motors run slower, such as a larger water blaster or an old-style electric clock.

But based on my experience moving here a decade ago with a few 110 VAC items it's not worth the trouble unless you have an appliance that is irreplaceable. Check out www.briscoes.co.nz to see if you can replace the kitchen gear.

Check the waffle maker to see how many watts it draws. The 2KW transformer may be border line for it's use. You will know when the windings in the transformer start to buzz when under peak load.

It must be a special waffle maker as there are plenty to buy new in NZ and at reasonable prices.

We brought our Dyson, Kitchenaid and Xbox and have been using them with a transformer for the last two years with no issues.

The only thing that burnt out one of our 2200W step-down transformers ---- was the treadmill.

Things that are running fine on step-downs -
    Panasonic Plasma TV, Kenwood Sub-woofer, Yamaha Sound Bar..3 cordless Panasonic Phone's
    Delonghi Kitchen Mixer (900w)
    Sewing Machine
    Waffle Maker
    Food Mixer

We also brought over our light fixtures, put in 220V bulbs and they work fine.

NZ house plug outlets (to the best of my limited knowledge)....run at max 10amps. Don't try running anything (US) more than 10amps in a NZ plug.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi. View Post
    We brought our Dyson, Kitchenaid and Xbox and have been using them with a transformer for the last two years with no issues.
    Thanks for your post. Just checking to see what kind of adaptor you used that you didn't have any issues? Thanks!

Thanks for your post. Just checking to see what kind of adapter you used that you didn't have any issues? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast