Thread: Parents Visa Extension

Default Parents Visa Extension

Hi there,

My mother in already here in NZ with 9 months of Visa. Is there any chance of extending the limit if I'm the only son and she is all dependent on me?

I’ve been a permanent resident for ~2 years so unable to apply for her residency.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

There aren't any concessions. I think this is the only option available at the moment for her to spend longer with you.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...asavisitor.htm

When she leaves the country after this visit, it would be possible for her to apply for a Multiple entry visitor visa for parents and grandparents of New Zealand citizens/residents (see here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ors.htm#parent, with more information here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tipleentry.htm), under your sponsorship. Notice that, with that visa, it would be possible for her to spend a total of 18 months in NZ, out of the three years following the date of issue. If she was mainly based in NZ, she would HAVE to leave, even for just a day or two, at the end of each six-month period. At the end of the 18 months, she would not be eligible to return as a visitor for a further 18 months.

I understand that you are hoping to find some way as of right now that she could legally stay with you permanently, but it doesn't exist - you have to work through to the time, when you have been resident for three years, that you can sponsor her for residence. These options - visitor visa for as long as you can get, trip home to apply, parent/grandparent visa for 18 months with mandatory trips out of NZ - are the best you can do. You will not be eligible to sponsor your mother for Residence until you have held your own Residence visa for three years, and even after that time, you will need to allow for a further wait for her EOI to be selected. I know people have sometimes gambled when getting the parent/grandparent visa that if they then go to NZ, their sponsored Residence will come through in time so they will not have to leave again, but for many, this has not worked - INZ don't give a high priority to parents. Of course, it's upsetting to have to go back to their home country when, mentally, they feel as if they've already emigrated, but if the first visa is going to run out, it's essential to leave in order to stay legal, or else they won't be eligible for the second, residence, visa.

Can the parent stay for 18 months(travel out of NZ every 6 months) out of 3 years via Multiple entry visitor visa for parents and grandparents of New Zealand citizens/residents if the parent has already resided in NZ for 9 months on visitor visa. I am hoping the answer to be "No" but would like check with you folks for confirmation.

They can't STAY. But if they go back to their home country, and apply and are granted a parent/grandparent visa, then they can go straight back to NZ once it is issued. There doesn't have to be a nine-month gap before they return. See here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tipleentry.htm, the question starting I have spent 9 months in New Zealand as a visitor and have now returned to my home country.

INZ Site seems to be down at the moment. So they can stay for 9 months on visitor visa and then return home and later enter on Parent/Grandparent Visa which is 18 months out of 3 yrs. In total they can spend approx 27 months outta 45 months in NZ. Is this anyway applicable only for Principal applicant on Residence Visa?

For instance can I invite my parents for 27 months & can i my spouse invite her parents for 27 months(Visitor & Parent Visa) ?

That's correct - there's 27 months available. And you can BOTH receive your parents.

Thanks JandM.

Hey wicked123,

Did you apply extension to your mother's visa?
    If so, what documentation you provided with her application?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Raju