Thread: Henderson

Default Henderson

Can anyone give me an insight to what sort of location Henderson is??

We are looking to retire in Auckland somewhere and looking for reasonable priced property with likewise people.

Maybe a good shopping centre nearby? golf courses? Lots of nice areas for walking?etc etc

Any feedback would be great.. Thanks

As it goes with rest of Auckland, Henderson has some nice localities. Henderson shopping center has countdown, westfield, more importantly a train station which gets you straight to Britomart. Recently I came across new property development projects in Henderson so you might just be able to secure some property (if you like it).

You can always drive to west coast which isn't very far, New Lynn shopping mall is also not too far (in case you plan to drive)

To be honest, we don't feel that safe in West Auckland. We live in a apartment which has 3 levels of security before someone knocks on our door (i.e. if we let them in). You might want to read some more experiences from others though. We lived in Northshore for most part of our adventure in NZ so the basis of assessment may be flawed .

On the other hand, I've stayed in West Auckland, and shopped in Henderson and around very happily, including going out to fetch a take-away meal in the mid-evenings, with no worries.

Henderson... with its own "Heart Attack Alley" as the New Zealand Herald called the main road at its centre!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11479480

Personally, I think every local paper from almost anywhere on the planet could write a similar article about many of the main roads that they cover!

Henderson's not bad at all. Decent public transport into CBD Auckland, and a range of shops. I would probably avoid living near the "strip" where the mall and big box shops are located. But there are some lovely bits--tend to be pricier, but still affordable compared to many suburbs in the City of Sails.

We're on the edge of the "West" (in New Windsor) and do sometimes head to Henderson for shopping and whatnot.

Thank you all for your comments.