Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to keep in mind when buying a Second Hand car in NZ

Post Things to keep in mind when buying a Second Hand car in NZ

Hi,

Request to please guide me as what things to keep in mind while buying a second hand car in NZ.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Ankur

Please don't worry. I have found enough old threads.
    Just wondering which is good brand when deciding for a car. I came across which suggests to keep distance from European second hand cars as maintainence prices are very high for them.

Please provide your inputs on brands and cheap spares in-case car breaks down.

That doesn't apply to all secondhand European cars.

Information and reviews provided about cars is relative. I find European cars much more comfortable than the Japanese/Korean cars, the control is much better and the driving on the roads is smooth, the only problem is with spare parts & repairs (which you might have read).

Repairs & spare parts for Japanese cars are relatively cheaper but you will end up compromising on the quality, stability, comfort etc. However I have known few of ours friends who have used these cards for 5+ years without any major issues.

While buying 2nd hand car, do check the Odometer, tyres, get mechanical inspection, cam belt (if applicable), read reviews & tesimonials about the make & model, Warranty of Fitness

Thanks Fern49 and Sun777

There are quite a few quality Japanese cars and don't believe you would be compromising on quality and comfort there. Toyota has quite a range of cars and we drive a Harrier which is top of the line in comfort and quality and very fuel-economical. There are many comfortable, safe and good quality cars from Japanese brands. It is just personal choice.
    I personally wouldn't buy European cars, although I admit they are wonderful to drive. They are expensive to maintain and downright hideous to repair. A friend who drove a BMW has to recondition his gearbox to the tune of over $6000.

Thanks for your comments.
    Is there a website where I can evaluate price of the old cars based on Model, Year, Odometer reading, Condition, Type etc?
    I am searching but couldn't find any so far.

Regards,
    Ankur

Simply going to trademe.co.nz (NZ's largest selling site) will be sufficient for you to do a price comparison. Most NZ cars are old anyway with the average age being 12 years. If you want a more in-depth analysis, then redbook.co.nz but you will have to pay for using that service.

We bought classic British cars when we arrived. We drive them every day and they get W.O.F. every 6 months. Reg for a year is less then $100 and parts are cheap. So it really is relative on what you want from your car and how much you want to spend.

I agree with Batgirl1001 thatTradeMe is a great place to start. Turners Auctions also sells lots of second hand cars, and they provide a lot of information about them.
    I guess there are no "safe cars" that are always reliable and won't cause trouble. Best thing to do is ask to test drive the car and take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. You might need to call ahead and make a booking with them first. They can give you a really good idea on the state of the car, the kind of condition it's in and how long it's likely to last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast