Thread: selecting job offers

Default selecting job offers

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding job offers for residency. I have a job offer with one year term, just wondering if this would be enough to get residency.

I'm assuming that you are asking about Skilled migration category, if yes then it depends on the job offer, if it's related to any particular stream, skills (Essential skilled/LTSSL) and if its in line with your educational qualifications.

And if it's all those things, even then INZ can be concerned to know that there will be more work for you after that (although the regulations say that a one-year contract is all right).

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I'm assuming that you are asking about Skilled migration category, if yes then it depends on the job offer, if it's related to any particular stream, skills (Essential skilled/LTSSL) and if its in line with your educational qualifications.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I am a mechanical engineer by qualification and my job offer is as a mechanical engineer with 12 months term. I found that the latest amendment to SM7.15 "ongoing and sustainable employment" which says The term of employment must be for at least 12 months. The applicant may either be already
    working in fixed term employment that is for at least 12 months in total, or have an offer for a fixed term of at least 12 months.

So does that mean I qualify for residency application with 12 month contract? I have also been offered another job offer which is permanent, but I like the first Job. So in a bit of a dilemma.

I think above statement (ongoing and sustainable employment) was there earlier as well i.e. before the amendment. When I was looking for contract in NZ (while our PR application was underway and we were overseas), the case officer had questions about the job continuity, background of the employer, term of employment, nature of duties, skill sets involved at the job. 12 months is the least and anything more will strengthen your application.

Relatively speaking, permanent role will have more weight compared to 12 month contract in terms of PR application. In case you follow your heart and go with 12 month contract then don't forget to attach the permanent job offer in your application, which seems to be strong point on your side (for securing continued employment).

Thank you all guys for your reply. In the end I went along with my heart and choose the one with 12 month term. but after working there for two months my employer reviewed my contract and so now I am in a permanent employment...looking forward to EOI soon...

Congratulations!

Well done