Thread: Supermarkets?

Default Supermarkets?

Another random question: are there larger grocery stores in New Zealand, as there are in the U.S.? Here in Norway we often have to go to three different grocery stores to complete our shopping. This has to do with availability of goods (and I'm not necessarily referring to "exotic" items), quality of what each store has (the quality of produce varies radically between one store and another here) and pricing (often you'll pay dollars more or less for one item, depending on what store you're in). Any thoughts?

Vann

There are supermarkets in NZ, but they don't compare with US ones for size. It is often advisable to go to several places to get all the groceries you want, both for quality and for price.

Other places on ENZ to look for food - for thought. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...ing+the+NZ+way

I often go to 2 different supermarkets as I like the produce that I can get in one but not the other
    and then I use Fruit World for fresh fruit and Veg (these are generally smaller stores)

Rather than go from one to another on the same shopping trip - I'll call in on different days - on my way home from work

How is the farmer's market culture in New Zealand? This would be my preferred source of produce, eggs, dairy and such. I've missed farmer's markets in the three years we've lived in Norway.

Vann

I had been living in New Zealand for about a year before discovering that in some areas of Auckland (for example, Waitakere) are DRY. That is, the supermarket can't sell booze!

We had just moved to our current location and went to the nearest Countdown supermarket to do a big food shop after moving in to our new house. We had a huge supermarket trolley and had started to load it up with the regular food items and decided to go straight the the booze aisle so we could add a half dozen bottles of red without crushing the other items. Not finding it, we asked a member of staff where the alcohol was only to be told that they didn't sell booze. Being already familiar with the fact that supermarket don't sell spirits and assuming the member of staff must be confused, I asked again this time asking for beers and wines...

When it dawned on me... I immediately had two thoughts - was I being filmed in a kiwi version of Candid Camera and how long would it take to move back to the UK!!!!

It was then explained that the nearby liquor store would be able to sell me booze as cheaply as the supermarket could and that I could also buy spirits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    How is the farmer's market culture in New Zealand? This would be my preferred source of produce, eggs, dairy and such. I've missed farmer's markets in the three years we've lived in Norway.

Vann
    There are Farmer's Markets throughout the country, depending on the location they sell different produce. The 'official' Farmer's Markets have relatively high standards regarding where the things they sell come from- as far as I am aware it has to be locally grown produce, i.e.in Marlborough you are not allowed to sell strawberries which were picked in Auckland.
    There are other markets around (at least where we are), our Farmer's Market is pretty big in the summer/ autumn months, but a lot smaller at the moment.

Also, you'll often find private individuals with a stall at their gate if they happen to have a surplus.

The supermarkets definitely aren't as huge as they are in the US, or the UK. Back home in the UK, I could go to the supermarket and do my grocery shop, buy some clothes, get my passport photos taken, book a holiday, pick up a prescription, buy a new DVD/TV/hoover/microwave, buy bedding and curtains and grab some lunch while I'm there. Here, the supermarkets are really just food stores. Where I live, the only supermarket we have is Fresh Choice so that's where I have to go. The nearest Countdown/New World/Pak N Save is 2 hours away, but they're generally a bit bigger and with more choice. I can still get all my food shopping done in one place, and so many people seem to have fruit/veggie/egg stalls outside their gates too, which is handy and a bit of a change!

Where do you live? Use small markets. Prices are lower and food is better.