Thread: Refund of GST paid on household goods

Default Refund of GST paid on household goods

When we moved here in 2013 we were charged GST on our private household goods which were all in a used condition. It was mentioned that we could Claim a refund of the tax, has anyone done this? I've looked at the cutoms Website and it just gets more confusing!
    Thanks for any help/directions.
    Planehero

You can claim if you are self employed and registered for GST. Household goods can only be claimed on if they are part/needed in your business.

I wonder if some mistake was made? I've not heard of anyone paying GST on personal effects when they move here, nor on cars for that matter (with some restrictions).

HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS AND VEHICLES
    Household items and related effects, motor vehicles, ships, and aircraft can be imported free of
    duty and GST provided they are imported by a person who has arrived in New Zealand who:
    »
    holds New Zealand residence, or a work visa (for a minimum of 12 months)
    , or a three-year
    visitors visa, at the time of importation; and
    »
    has resided outside New Zealand for more than 21 months; and
    »
    has owned and personally used the goods prior to importat
    ion.
    Note:
    The goods must not be for any other person, or for gift, sale, or exchange, or for commercial use.
    Motor vehicles, ships, and aircraft must have been owned and used for 12 months prior to
    shipping or the owner’s departure for New Zealand — whichever is the earlier.
    Size restrictions apply to ships/boats imported by returning New Zealand residents.
    Duty is payable on unused goods or goods outside of the terms listed above. The full
    requirements are set out in Part II of the
    Working Tariff of New Zealand
    document.
    HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS AND VEHICLES IMPORTED BEFORE
    THE OWNER’S ARRIVAL
    Goods can be cleared ahead of the owner’s arrival. A nominee (friend, relative, employer),
    appointed by the owner in writing, will need to complete an Unaccompanied Personal Baggage
    Declaration, NZCS 218, and lodge it with Customs or a customs broker or removal company.
    Full Customs duties are payable on unused goods or goods outside of the terms of the
    concessions listed above.
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/reso...Sheet%2028.pdf (My bolding)

I'm guessing that the paperwork wasn't available at the time to prove that planehero was entitled to the concession, so he paid for the time being to get possession of his property.

Planehero, in your place I would get in touch with Customs http://www.customs.govt.nz/about/con...s/default.aspx, with all your paperwork to hand, and ask THEM what you need to do. You might need to arrange to go in to their office and work it all out. I haven't ever seen mention on the forum of anyone who has gone through this process, so I don't think anyone is going to have any knowledge to share.

A big thanks to all. Based on other issues that had come up i think that the problem was caused by our importer who did the minimum and charged the most for it.
    I shall contact customs and ask THEM JandM.
    I just wanted to use the experiences from members on this site first as I thought that was the reason for site.
    I will in any case report the outcome as it appears to be a first.
    Thanks again everyone.

Oh, yes, you're very welcome to have asked for other people's experiences. Just, as that was a new one one me, out of all the posts read down the years, I didn't want you to be waiting for help that wouldn't come. Yes, please let us know what you have to do, and how you get on. Good luck.