Thread: Refuse the job offer after signed already

Unhappy Refuse the job offer after signed already

Hi there,
    I wonder if is there anybody can help me out with this tough situation.
    - I have a new job offer and I already signed the contract with the new employer
    - and I already gave the resignation to current company. I am still on the 6 weeks notice waiting for my last day coming up
    But I've received another phone call to give another offer from another company as Project Manager as the final target of my aim.

What should I do... If I don't take it, I'll miss the chance and never know it'll arrive to me again in the future. If I take it, I may be sued or something like that.

Any suggestion ???

Thanks

You are unlikely to get sued. You are a grown up, so you should decide what is right for you.

Personally I believe, if you sign a contract, you should follow it up. What if your employer decides not to honour the contract? You would not think that was particularly fair or right.

Also, you are likely to have a negative impact on that employer hiring anyone else from overseas or from your particular country.

I agree with above post. You can do what you like but it does not look good. If you like your current job stay at it and then when you have some experience look for PM job would be my thoughts. I would not look kindly on you as an employee if you left after 6 weeks.

Only you can decide.
    I would also consider how influential the first employer is in your particular field of work. (The one you have signed a contract with). You would be very unlikely to be offered an interview with that employer again.
    You seem to be quite employable with 2 job offers on the table. So don't be so quick to make a decision that will impact your future.

Remember that NZ is a country with a small population. People in any particular line of work are VERY likely to know one another, even in different towns and on different islands. If you offend one employer, word will get around, and if you get yourself a bad reputation, this will not help your future career.

I think above valuable suggestions are all worthy of consideration. It is unlikely that you will be sued but referrals are a big thing here in NZ, with relatively small size of country and much smaller circles within specific professions I'd say consider staying with the contract you have already signed. If you have shared about this with your new employer then they might have a good opinion about you i.e. you might leave them as soon as if you find much better job. Follow your heart

Have the second offer in writing firm in hand before you decide.

If the one you signed with are open minded type, you can consider to tell them honestly. That it has been a very difficult decision for you (haha, now your turn to say this line!), and that becoming a PM is really what you wanted and how it works toward your long term career goal, and that you hope to keep in touch with them for mutually beneficial opportunities in the future.

Better than let the first one find out about your second one later. NZ is very small.

typo corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I think above valuable suggestions are all worthy of consideration. It is unlikely that you will be sued but referrals are a big thing here in NZ, with relatively small size of country and much smaller circles within specific professions I'd say consider staying with the contract you have already signed. If you have shared about this with your new employer then they might not have a good opinion about you i.e. you might leave them as soon as if you find much better job. Follow your heart