Thread: When is residency actually granted (Start date)?

Default When is residency actually granted (Start date)?

Hi, for all who received your blue stickers (and were in NZ already before getting your residency)

was the start date of your residence visa, the day you got approved in principle? Or was it a couple of days before you actually received your visa labels back, or was it a completely random date? I'm just wondering when is the actual moment you go from being on a work visa to a residence visa!

Best regards and thank you very much because I'm still on my work visa...

Hi sheepland,

From what I know, for someone who applied from outside NZ, they are usually given 1 year from the date of stamping to enter NZ 1st time ('last date to enter NZ 1st time after the visa is granted).
    Once the person enters NZ, the res visa is activated and allows multiple entries to NZ (for the person who chose to travel outside NZ and re-enter) for a period of 24 months from the date of activation.

Once 24 months are done for the person to reenter should he /she chose to travel outside NZ, a returning res visa must be applied for and obtained or another alternative is to apply for a PR and get it before leaving NZ. however if one chose to remain in NZ, one could stay on without the need for any other visa.

All this is on INZ website.

For folks who applied while within NZ, the 24 month till applies, but not sure about the activation date.

Regards.
    laxgr

It's the date on the visa (the blue sticker), which is the date it actually gets stuck in, so the passport will then go in the post, or you will get word to collect it, and when it's back in your hand, you will already have been a Resident for a couple of days.