Thread: English Language requirements as a native speaker from England

Default English Language requirements as a native speaker from England

The last bits of supporting documentation came back today so I'm ready to lodge my Skilled Migrant Category visa (with job offer).

A Word document (link: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...pplication.doc) on the London VAC site giving tips on applying for the SMC visa states...

11. English Language Ability

If you were born in the United Kingdom and have lived your entire life in the United Kingdom you are not required to provide evidence of your English Language ability. The same will generally apply in other countries where English is the primary language.

If you are born in a country where English is not the major language please refer to the guide regarding what information must be provided.
    Having been born, schooled, worked and lived in England for my whole life, am I right in assuming this quote covers it? I can supply other evidence as well as birth certificate, education certificates, work reference stating an English speaking environment etc - should I also include these? I'd hope that I wouldn't have to do an IELTS as a native speaker!

The same document suggests putting photocopies behind every original piece of evidence supplied. Has everybody who has submitted an application done this?

Many thanks

Mick
    Last edited by MLVB; 22nd July 2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Edited to include link to document

Yes, your English upbringing and education covers it. You don't need to supply anything - just state that you were born, raised and educated in England, so English is your native language.

I don't know that EVERYBODY always remembers about supplying photocopies with their originals, but certainly a lot have mentioned doing it. It's self-defence, as well as a kindness to INZ. If they've sent back your (whatever) original, then some time later the CO notices it hasn't been ticked off on their check-list, the fact of the photocopy being there proves that you DID send it, and so saves you from getting a worrying email and having to send it again.