Thread: UK Solicitor trying to cross qualify to work in NZ - help!!

Default UK Solicitor trying to cross qualify to work in NZ - help!!

Hi there everyone!
    I don't know whether anyone can help but my husband is a solicitor with about ten years experience in the UK and we are currently trying to jump through the hoops that the NZ council of legal education require - they have asked for his current practicing certificate, but in the UK the certificate is an online phenomenon ie looking on a database can confirm whether the solicitor has a practicing certificate for that particular year or not . I can't believe that he is the only UK solicitor to come here to go through this and nz cle are saying they can't go any further with his application until we provide this certificate!
    Is there anyone else out there who has gone through this who can help us? We are at our wits end, we applied about six months ago and he just wants to do whatever courses they request so he can work here!!

THANK YOU to anyone who can share their experience/offer advice!

Quote Originally Posted by smiler000 View Post
    Hi there everyone!
    I don't know whether anyone can help but my husband is a solicitor with about ten years experience in the UK and we are currently trying to jump through the hoops that the NZ council of legal education require - they have asked for his current practicing certificate, but in the UK the certificate is an online phenomenon ie looking on a database can confirm whether the solicitor has a practicing certificate for that particular year or not . I can't believe that he is the only UK solicitor to come here to go through this and nz cle are saying they can't go any further with his application until we provide this certificate!
    Is there anyone else out there who has gone through this who can help us? We are at our wits end, we applied about six months ago and he just wants to do whatever courses they request so he can work here!!

THANK YOU to anyone who can share their experience/offer advice!
    I just recently completed all NZCLE requirements and got admitted to the High court. So I have first hand experience of the trials and tribulations of foreign lawyers trying to get into the NZ Bar. I did a quick internet search and found:

1. The UK Law Society website suggests a hard copy practising certificate may be available:

Question
    How do I know that my solicitor is qualified?

Answer
    The practising certificate guarantees that the solicitor is qualified to practise and has insurance to protect you if anything goes wrong.

If you want to be sure, ask to see the certificate or contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority to check. Alternatively you can use our Find a solicitor online seach tool which lists all solicitors who currently hold a practising certificate.

2. The lawyers below seem to be in the business of helping out with practising certificates. I'm hoping that a call will get you the help you need!

http://www.lawyersdefencegroup.org.u...ficate-issues/

Good luck.
    Last edited by NJ2NZ; 2nd August 2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: correction