Thread: immigration changes

Default immigration changes

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11487126
    Prospective immigrants to New Zealand will be given greater incentive to go to provincial New Zealand under a series of immigration measures outlined by Prime Minister John Key today to the National Party conference in Auckland. The points that skilled migrants get for a job offer outside Auckland will be increased from 10 points to 30 points from November 1 - of the 100 points they require. ...
    The points for immigrants on an entrepreneur work visa will double from 20 points to 40 points of the 120 points they require if they set up a business outside Auckland. ...
    Mr Key also announced the Government was considering a new "global impact visa" aimed at technology entrepreneurs who wanted to set up a global business based in New Zealand. ...

I wonder if they are putting in place similar incentives for business to move outside of Auckland... We'd happily consider living elsewhere but while the bulk of my husband's industry is based in Auckland this isn't very likely.

True. Everyone likes to move out of Auckland but finding similar one outside is very difficult.

You make a good point Escapee. I don't think people are flocking to over-populated Auckland for its scenery or over priced property. People are going there because they simply don't have other viable options. Will be interesting to see what kind of effect this initiative will have, but to be honest I don't see it having any great effect in the near future.

I agree, unless more jobs are created in the regions, the policy will have very little affect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwilad View Post
    You make a good point Escapee. I don't think people are flocking to over-populated Auckland for its scenery or over priced property. People are going there because they simply don't have other viable options. Will be interesting to see what kind of effect this initiative will have, but to be honest I don't see it having any great effect in the near future.
    Exact thoughts when I read this news. Given an opportunity we will be the first to move out of Auckland but there are far less job opportunities outside Auckland for the specialized skills and not every company have their infrastructure ready to handle remote offices, travel expenses will be significant overheads for Medium & Large enterprises too. Hopefully this eases out some pressure and create opportunities - practically

guys, want to get some info on the new policy

i in IT, more than 10 years working, iqa with level 7 basically my assessment is 130 points, how can the new policy change help me to get another 10 points to make it 140 without job offer?

From what I understand from the changed policy extract shown on this thread should only affect positively those that have / looking to get a job offer from NZ, should not affect those that do not have a job offer.

Also to continue on what laxgr said, a job offer out of Auckland.

Canada has something similar. I think it's called "the provincial nominee programme", where you are authorised to work only in a particular province/region for the first 24 months or so. You are allowed to travel/live anywhere in Canada indefinitely... no restrictions there.

I think this is a good initiative. Too many resident visa holders moving to Auckland immediately after getting their residence visas.