Thread: Has anybody given up on NZ driving license and switch to overseas

Default Has anybody given up on NZ driving license and switch to overseas

Hi, just wondering has anyone here ever given up on your NZ license before expiry date? For one who has given up the NZ driving license, can they leave and come back to NZ with an international license and drive for 12 months?

I don't get where you're coming from... in what context would you say anyone needing to give up NZ driver's license?

Oh...I was referring to the restricted license....So if one possess the restricted license but does not wish to take the full practical test, can they give up this license and return to driving in NZ with an international license?

I'm afraid you can't do that. In the long run, you should get a full NZ license.

If you plan on staying in NZ for a long period of time you will have to go for the full-test. The international license is only temporary, and is only valid with another drivers license.
    Look at it this way, if you don't take the Full License test and keep driving around on your Restricted, you'll be fine for a few years but it will eventually expire. Then you'll need to take the Restricted test again just to keep your Restricted! Much better to prepare and go for the Full License test. It's not too bad!